does zonealarm show up more false positive viruses than norton? help!

theDarkness 11:14 26 Oct 08

I have just installed zonealarm and it has found 2 potential viruses and 4 spyware. I am concerned as I previously had an up to date version of norton installed, and nothing was detected. I am not on the net with this system. the spyware/adware i found is not a suprise- as i had downloaded styleXP files from its official website, and this is common. the viruses however are "trojan-downloader.win32.Small.bke" and "Packed.win32.PePatch.dk", and oddly enough were detected in system restore files. does anyone know of any websites that have a search that i can use to will tell me exactly what these viruses and adware do, if the viruses in particular are not false positives? thanks very much

skidzy 12:21 26 Oct 08

these both seem old variants of older trojans and would have thought any upto date av or malware package would deal with these.

However,if you can connect to the net on that system,upload the files in question to Jotti click here for scanning with mutiple av engines.

If you can copy these files to cd and point Jotti to the location (cd drive) and see if anything is found with the av engines.

Failing all that,download Mbam to usb drive or disc,install on the problem computer and scan click here

Also try DrWebcureit click here

theDarkness 13:02 26 Oct 08

thanks. i havent heard of those sites, i will check them out, although im not sure if i will be able to find how to extract the potential virus files individually, since zonealarm is saying they are inside single system restore files. I have tried searching for the above files that were detected and some sites are saying they are usually false detections. Surely a good sign. The detected files supposedly were only found in my system restore files, hopefully also a good thing if by removing these files i could not be removing anything else that could of been potentially damaged or of more value (not that restore points cant be!).. no internet via pc right now, but if i can get these files onto my mobile phone to upload to the above sites to check, i will state what they say. Hopefully those sites will also not come up with any false positives :)

theDarkness 13:59 26 Oct 08

Update-did a further scan, and now "C\windows\system32\trayicon.ocx" is showing up in zonealarm as a medium risk, a memory watcher!? If its of any use to anyone, the earlier 4 spyware were found along with the 2 supposed viruses. 2 of the spyware were found in stylexp files, and the remaining other 2 spyware and 2 viruses were found at "F:\system volume information\_restore{xxxx..}\xxxx\xxxx.exe"(the xxx.. is a varied selection of numbers and letters). Coming to think of it, i wouldnt be surprised if all these files are stylexp related, as they are the only '.exe' ive installed on the machine. I shouldve stuck with norton! Haha

theDarkness 14:12 26 Oct 08

could the potential virus warning from the trayicon.ocx be related to installing my vista-esque toolbar i now have on xp? It was not running but it is installed. If i can find a norton trial should i also install and run to see if it will come up with similar results to zonealarm (i have recently installed xp so trial should work)? I will uninstall zonealarm if norton doesnt come up with similar unnecessary warnings. thanks for any help if possible

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now