Does XP restore point save BIOS settings?

as400man 19:52 03 Oct 03

A diagnostic tool has recommended that I install the latest BIOS updates. But my manufacturer says that if the BIOS is not causing a problem, leave it alone. I would like to try an upgrade but I'm cautious. Will a restore point save my original settings so that I can put things back as they were?

Thanks and regards.

Jester2K II 19:54 03 Oct 03

Nope.

Only stored Windows settings.

Some BIOS Flashing programs allow you to back up the current BIOS before you flash. However mess up the flash and you'll not be able to get anywhere to use SR anyway even if it did back up BIOS settings.

Whats the problem? Maybe we can help.

VoG II 19:55 03 Oct 03

No! System Restore only saves Windows system files.

Be careful. If you update the BIOS incorrectly you can end up with a dead (unbootable) 'puter.

If your machine is working OK, enjoy it. These "diagnostic tools" are a real pain. If it ain't broke, don't fix it as they say.

-pops- 19:55 03 Oct 03

Wise is the man who doesn't mess about with his BIOS

as400man 20:44 03 Oct 03

I've just installed another 256mb ram and the diagnostic reckons that the bios and windows are in conflict as to how much there is to play with and advises updating the bios. To be honest the machine seems to be running fine. I gather from all of you that caution is the best policy. I would only give it a go if I knew I had a way back. Maybe I should just forget it.
Thanks for your interest and helpful comments as always.

-pops- 06:43 04 Oct 03

Always use the policy - If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

There are a number of programs available which seem to try to panic their users into thinking there is something severely amiss with their machine and it will die if something (often involving parting with money) is not done about it.

Sisoft Sandra is one of these panicware of scareware program and there are several others.

Enjoy your computer for what it can do for you, not what you can do for it.

as400man 19:51 04 Oct 03

Chris Powell

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…