Does this work.

GuZ><0r 01:19 13 Nov 05

Is your connection slow even when not playing games? If your connection is slow when browsing the internet you may want to run a virus and spyware scan. Try my steps below to allow your computer to use 100% of your broadband connection.

1. Click on ‘start’ go to ‘run’ and type in ‘gpedit.msc’ and hit ‘enter’.
2. A window will popup. Under ‘Computer Configuration’ expand ‘Administrative Templates’.
3. Now expand ‘Network’.
4. Click on the folder ‘QoS Packet Scheduler”
5. Right click on ‘Limit reservable bandwidth’ and select Properties.
6. Select ‘Enabled’
7. Down where it say Bandwidth limit (%) put in the box “0”.
8. Click ‘Apply’ then ‘OK’
9. Close out everything and reboot your box.

What you just did will allow your computer to use 100% of your bandwidth provided by your ISP. Also are you connected via a router/switch? Make your MTU is set to max.

Does this improve my interent or does it stuff up my computer.

ahales42 01:30 13 Nov 05

this only works with xp pro.i`ll give it a try and see if it makes any difference.

keith-236785 07:16 13 Nov 05

noted for later, thanks

Taff™ 08:49 13 Nov 05

I`m not sure about this but I recall the MTU setting has to be set to a specific figure for an AOL connection (1400) otherwise it causes problems so I think I`d leave that alone on the router. Interesting though.

GuZ><0r 11:36 13 Nov 05

Just bringing this to the top to see if any one has done it.

Carbonara 11:53 13 Nov 05

I'll come back and see if it works!

GuZ><0r 12:14 13 Nov 05

I ahve done this to my computer just now but it is to early to tell but at least it does not wreck your computer as mine is working.

Forum Editor 12:35 13 Nov 05

about the QoS Packet Scheduler in the past, and a good deal of misinformation has entered the market.

Put very simply the QoS PS can reserve bandwidth for Windows XP - bandwidth it needs to perform essential network tasks, and when QoS aware technologies are running - the Windows update site being one of these. When you are told that you may continue working whilst your computer downloads updates it's because the good old QoS PS is managing bandwidth allocations to ensure that the updater has enough to run. Lots of people think that QoS PS 'steals' 20% of your bandwidth for itself, but that's not strictly true. It will certainly reserve that much if it's needed for a specific task, but only when it's needed - it doesn't hog that bandwidth all the time.

Disabling the QoS PS by setting the % to '0' as suggested isn't necessarily a good thing to do. If you are not part of a network you could certainly alter the setting, but I would recommend you set it for say, 5% and see how it goes.

keith-236785 13:46 13 Nov 05

i tried it and it didnt seem to make any difference to the surfing i do, so i have taken FE's advice and returned it to 20%, though i too must add it did no damage to my system (though i didnt do any windows updating or downloading) just browsing/e-mails/ pcadvisor site etc....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…