Does Wireless 11b card work with 11g access point?

JerryJay 13:37 15 Jan 04

I have a laptop with wireless 11b card fitted and am thinking to get a 11g access point. The reasons for chosing 11g access point over 11b are (1) the range for 11g is shorter than 11b so it is safer (I do not think it is a good idea to let people in street see your network, the best safety is physical restriction); (2) 11g is fast than 11b, maybe I will get a 11g card for laptop in future. Any one has any experience?

LeadingMNMs 14:16 15 Jan 04

The g technology is backwards compatible with the b. I thought that g had the same range as the b though, and that the 'a' technology had the shortest range (30m) and was the most secure. Also if this is a home network the chances are that no one will be trying to access your network although you could use WEP for piece of mind.

JerryJay 11:30 16 Jan 04

Thank you for confirm my assumption, i.e. 11g is compitable with 11b. The range for 11g is actually shorter than 11b, 50m vs 120m, 11a even shorter 30m. As for security, I still think it is not a good idea to let your neighbours see your data through wireless network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…