Does a USB to Serial Converter work?

1936 11:10 10 Oct 04

I have been trying to run a Garmin GPS 111 with my laptop but it kept crashing so I thought that I would try to replicate the problem with my desktop computer. I connected the GPS to the desktop computer via what I refer to as a serial port and it ran the GPS perfectly.
I then connected the GPS to the desktop computer via a USB Serial converter and the computer crashed. I then had a look at some notes I had when I last looked at this problem. The note that I found said, "The USB port, is and never will be the same as a serial port." If you purchase a USB to RS232onverter you are not creating a perfect replica of the original communications.” If that is the case the problem is irresolvable that is unless someone says otherwise although it would help of course if Garmin came into the modern world and created a connecting cable with a USB connector. I would welcome any advice.

Gongoozler 11:49 10 Oct 04

This one claims to work with the Garmin click here and its available in the UK.

1936 12:56 10 Oct 04

I have contacted them and read their information sheet which states that customers have confirmed that it works with the Garmin GPS + XP + so I E-Mailed them and asked if it works with the Garmin GPS 111.
If it does, then great and many thanks.

g0slp 14:09 10 Oct 04

I've used a USB-Serial cable with my Garmin GPS III (I use the GPS to put a position onto my copy of MS Autoroute) & also to link other devices, such as digital cameras, Psion palmtop etc to my laptop.

The only problem that I found was that it was necessary to use the same USB socket on my laptop every time (got a choice of 4!). If you don't do that, then the computer may not recognise the device.

I haven't got the lead details immediately to hand, but could post back if antone wants them.

1936 17:43 10 Oct 04

I think that is what happened with my laptop only I only have two USBs. I would like details of the lead just incase the one mentioned above does not work.

g0slp 07:15 11 Oct 04

Good morning. (and apologies for only posting back now).

click here

for the link to the device which I use.

If you try 'USB to Serial Connector' in Google, then there are many more suppliers now than when I bought my lead (only 5 months ago!).

Good luck setting your equipment up.

Regards, Mark

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…