Does these results show too much noise on my line

FatboySlim71 09:12 18 Sep 07

My situation is this. In my home the master phone socket is downstairs, the PC is in the room above this. When we first got a telephone line installed we got the BT engineer to fit an extension in the bedroom (which is above the room where the master socket is. This extension is not one of the type that plugs into the front of the BT phone socket, it is internally wired into the inside of the BT master socket.

Right, the extension that the engineer fitted is in my bedroom, from this socket I have a 10 metre RJ45? cable (the connector on this cable (RJ45?) is the type that plugs into the filter socket, beside this socket is usually one to plug your phone into). The 10 metre cable goes round my bedroom to the PC, this then plugs into my Netgear DG834G wireless modem router, I am not wireless with this modem router, I just use the Ethernet socket on this modem/router to connect the Ethernet cable into my PC.

I have done some tests with the Netgear's software and viewed the statistics for it. These are the results,

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream

Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps

Line Attenuation 24 db 6 db

Noise Margin 12 db 27 db

Sometimes the noise margin goes down to 9 or 10db.

I have only in the last 4 days, started getting my broadband from a new ISP, don't know if that would have any bearing in the results or advice.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, the noise margin, the higher the number is the better isn't it?

I only live 480 metres from the exchange as the crow flies.

I wondered if the extension that the BT engineer fitted and the 10 metre cable that goes from this extension and into my modem, are causing these figures, i.e. the total distance from the master socket. I have no way of been able to try the modem in my Master socket by the way!

I wondered if it would be a better idea to go wireless, then this way the modem/router would be downstairs next to my master socket and would then connect into the filter with only a short length RJ45? cable.

I will also add that my desktop PC is not wireless at present. I do not know really anything about wireless technology. I have the potential on my broadband package of having up to 8MB. With this in mind I would want a modem/router and any necessary equipment that would make my PC wireless, to allow for as fast a connection as possible. So what type of wireless adaptor modem/router would I need to allow this.

I know that there are different types of wireless modem/routers, i.e. (G 802.11g 54mbps, G+ 802.11g 125mbps, N1 MIMO 300MBPS) but I am not sure as to how these various types would affect my potential broadband speed, correct me if I'm wrong but, would the, N1 MIMO 300MBPS give me the fastest connection/download speeds compared to the other two?

exodus 10:11 18 Sep 07

Hi, if you think that the extension cable is causing a problem, then either replace or connect directly to the BT master socket. Ensure all other devices attached to the phone line are correctly filtered.

For understanding MTU and SNR settings and what they should be, then this site is very useful.
click here

exo

FatboySlim71 10:26 18 Sep 07

Do you think that wireless would be a better alternative to try?

At least this way it would by pass the extension and also the 10 metre cable that plugs into the extension socket and into my modem/router?

Marko797 10:32 18 Sep 07

Is it true to say that (in short) u have had these problems since changing isp?
If that's the case, then it's unlikely that any of ur existing cabling would be the problem, unless u have disturbed them in some way.

FatboySlim71 10:58 18 Sep 07

Prior to me going to my new ISP, I was on a 2mb broadband package, I use to get download speeds with that of approx 230 kbps (1900 mbps). The broadband package that I am on now is an 8mb, (I did only start getting broadband from my new ISP on 14 September I will add)

I will list the results that I have done via two broadband speed test site, I live 480 metres from your exchange (as the crow flies).

speedtest.net
These have varied from 740 kbps at 22:00 yesterday to
5364 kbps on the 18 Sept at 7:30 am.

Thinkbroadband.com
These have varied from 558.22 Kbps on 17/09/07 22:00 to 5530.27 Kbps 18/09/07 07:22am

I just thought that the noise level would play more of a part now as I am on a faster broadband package than I used to be.

I thought that going wireless would may be reduce the noise level, that's if the noise level is been caused by the length of the extension from the BT master socket and also the 10 metre RJ45 cable that plugs into the filter and then into my modem/router.

But I will mention again, the extension is a proper BT installed extension, this is wired inside the BT master socket and then out of the side of the back box and upstairs into my bedroom. I just thought that with it been wired this way it would be more or less the same as having the equipment plugged into the BT master socket.

FatboySlim71 20:56 18 Sep 07

bump

FatboySlim71 21:54 18 Sep 07

Just to update:
I connected my Netgear modem/router wirelessly into my desktop pc by means of a USB wireless adapter, the modem/router was connected into my master phone socket and thus bypassing "the BT engineer fitted extension and the 10 metre cable that goes from the filter and into my modem"

But the levels were exactly the same, so it would appear that the wiring in my home is not at fault.

Dipso 22:26 18 Sep 07

There is nothing wrong with your line or line stats. You connect at the maximum 8 Meg and have a healthy 12db margin left over. If you had too much noise on your line your noise margin figure would be sub 6db.

FatboySlim71 22:32 18 Sep 07

Thanks for the advice Dipso, its much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…