Does switching computers mean an internet nightmar

shrub 15:12 12 Feb 03

I'm on a BT Openworld com internet line and want to replace my old computer with a new one I've bought.
Is this a straightforward business or do I have to change settings or anything else on the computer. Or will it involved another two hour phone session with BT?

*mark 15:18 12 Feb 03

Its easy... just insert the BT CDROM, or/and use the Microsft 'New Connection Wizard' (Start/Programs/Assesories/Comunications) on your new PC and when promted enter your existing account details & password etc.

Hope this helps.

Mark.

chris6891 15:27 12 Feb 03

if u still got the bt internet disk...insert it....then install ie 5 or wat ever, then when signing upo theres an option in bottom right corner for "existing customers" it will then ask for ure username and pass, the after that everything is set up like it was on old comp, ive had to do this many times...good luck

MartinT-B 15:27 12 Feb 03

As long as you have a note of all your settings:

dial up number
user name
password

incoming and outgoing mailservers + user name and passwords far all accounts

and any other settings - all easily obtainable from your current PC - you should be absolutely fine.

I would still do this manually and not use the set-up wizard on the new PC and MAYBE do it with a BT technician on-line at the same time.

Don't go the customer care route, go straight to technical dept!

shifty 15:42 12 Feb 03

I've just changed over to a new computer and setting up the internet connection was a doddle. Took a note of previous settings etc inserted the disc. All I needed was my user name and my password and within a minute I was up and running.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…