Does such a graphics card exist

gazza38 20:51 03 Apr 05

Just curious.A friend claims that although his onboard graphics is 128mb,only 64mb is taken from system memory,as it has 64mb of it's own.
I always thought that onboard graphics took all of it's memory from the system.
Can anyone shed any light please?

Belatucadrus 21:01 03 Apr 05

I'm with you, I've never heard of on-board graphics having any memory of it's own, always been swiped from available RAM.
Not saying it's impossible, just never heard of it, be intrigued to get details of the MOBO, sounds a very bizarre way of doing things.

gazza38 21:10 03 Apr 05

I don't know the brand of mobo.I remember he said that the system was fron novatech though.
It was bought only a few weeks ago.

Starfox 00:20 06 Apr 05

Just don't see how *onboard* graphics can have it's own memory.Just not possible as I see it.

Maybe one of the tech-heads may know different but I doubt it.

Totally-braindead 00:27 06 Apr 05

I'm with the others here, the PCs I've built with onboard graphics all took their memory from the PCs memory, none of them have had their own memory as well. Only thing I can think of is that the BIOS is set to use 64mb, hes read somewhere maybe in the manual that the board can give up to 128mb of onboard graphics and thinks that its doing this and only using 64mb. Hence the assumption he has 64mb on the graphics itself. Maybe not right but a possability.

DieSse 00:27 06 Apr 05

He's probaly confusing it with another setting in the BIOS, Graphics Aperture - which could well be set to 128Mb.

@k@n!c 06:44 06 Apr 05

i recently got a dell optiplex for a freind and it had a pga(i think thats what you call them)card in it, and they go in the agp slot,and it adds memory to the on board graphics,may be that or something simular...regards akanic

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now