Does this sound like a PSU failure?

hs82 13:29 01 Jan 10

I have a collection of intermittent symptoms occurring to my desktop PC. I suspect that these are indicative of a failing PSU, but would appreciate any opinions, whether confirming this or doubting it!

The system is nearly 3 years old, with no previous hardware issues.

Symptom 1: noisy main case fan. Sometimes makes a horrible grating noise when PC starts up, gradually improves and disappears. Other times, the fan will start normally.

Symptom 2: no signal to monitor. Sometimes when the PC is started, the monitor displays its own diagnostic message that no signal is being received. All cables are correctly plugged in. Leaving the PC switched on for ten minutes, then restarting, usually solves this.

Symptom 3: BIOS unable to locate hard disk at system start. This has only just started happening, and again is intermittent. I don't just mean that it had lost the settings for the HDD; it can't see it at all and will not auto-detect.

These symptoms do not occur together.

My suspicion is that the PSU is failing and no longer provides enough power for all the components. One component is left wanting; if it's the fan, it turns slowly and grates against the case; if it's the video card, it doesn't output a signal; and if it's the HDD, it doesn't become visible to the BIOS.

Could it alternatively be a motherboard issue? I hope not!

Thanks in advance for any observations.

Technotiger 13:45 01 Jan 10

Of course the mobo can't be ruled out, but I agree it does sound more like a dying PSU.

woodchip 13:46 01 Jan 10

Symptom 3: BIOS unable to locate hard disk at system start "Bad Connection of Hard Drive to Motherboard" or faulty connection in the IDE circuit

Symptom 2: no signal to monitor. Sometimes when the PC is started, the monitor displays its own diagnostic message that no signal is being received.
"This one can be a PSU Problem"

Symptom 1: noisy main case fan. Sometimes makes a horrible grating noise when PC starts up, "Nothing to do with PSU. It needs a New Fan or oiling"

User-312386 14:00 01 Jan 10

Ill put my say in now. install speedfan and see what all your temperatures are! This sounds like that your fans are grimey and in need of a damn good clean. Take your graphics card out, clean the fan really well with a paint brush and then hoover the dust out. Also clean the CPU fan and any intake/outake fans. Reseat the hard drive connector and check all connections.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant