does not recognise blank disc as DVD-RW but CD-RW

happyhoneypot 15:57 13 Apr 07

I bought some DVD-RW and have been trying to make a dvd from my computer, with some footage already on my machine. when i try and load it on, the computer won't let me, because it only recognises the disc in the drive as a CD-RW, not as a DVD-RW. it says 'please insert a disc' when i have already put my DVD-RW in the drive.
I would be very grateful if you could give me some suggestions on what to do. Thanks

Totally-braindead 16:04 13 Apr 07

This may be a stupid question but you do have a DVD writer and not either a CD writer or a combination DVD ROM/CD writer?
If you do have a DVD writer and I'm not sure of this as I don't use the RW disks as they aren't stable enough, does a DVDRW have to be formatted before use?
Anyone on the Forum answer that?

johndrew 16:08 13 Apr 07

`.. does a DVDRW have to be formatted before use?`

Yes it does.

Totally-braindead 16:09 13 Apr 07

I do use DVDRW on my TV DVD recorder and I've just tried one on my PC and it calls it a CD too. Therefore I would imagine that it is because Windows XP doesn't have the facility to burn DVDs only CDS and therefore doesn't recognise it.

Yes, just tried Nero and it recognises the DVD.

What program are you using?

Diemmess 17:17 13 Apr 07

I believe even Nero until the final updated 6..x.x.x) didn't know about DVDs.
Nero 7 of course does.

Stuartli 18:04 13 Apr 07

Not necessarily true. You could, just as with a blank CD-RW, use it without formatting.

Details about DVD media:

click here

I've used Nero5, 5.5 and 6 and updated them as required.

Nero6's SmartStart includes the facility to select DVD media - I use Nero6 with a Sony G170 DVD rewriter.

tullie 18:12 13 Apr 07

To be honest,i have never formatted a DVDRW yet,others may have other experiences

Totally-braindead 19:39 13 Apr 07

Diemmess I've got Nero 6 the final version and it does burn DVDs. As I said earlier I wasn't too sure about the formating question as I never use them on my PC - I find them to unreliable and they take too long as you have to drop the burning speed down.
With Nero 6 you have to choose to use a DVD, when you do it correctly identifies the size of it.

Stuartli 19:44 13 Apr 07

As I stated earlier I've used several versions of Nero6 to burn DVDs and, like Totally-braindead, am currently using the recent latest version (6.6.1.15a); the "a" version followed very shortly after 6.6.1.15.

To its credit Ahead is still updating Nero6 although on a much lower frequency than the once a month or so before Nero7.

Stuartli 19:45 13 Apr 07

>>but you do have a DVD writer and not either a CD writer or a combination DVD ROM/CD writer?>>

A DVD rewriter will burn both CD and DVD blank media.

Diemmess 09:46 14 Apr 07

Totally-braindead,I might not have made myself clear.
Enough to say - I too use the last update of Nero v 6 and it works fine once I have selected which type, CD or DVD.

Agree too word for word with the rest of your post, RWs and other dodgy devices!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…