Does Norton Ghost copy everything?

belcanto 00:07 23 Mar 05

Hi there-I have just brought a copy of Norton Ghost from ebay. I plan on selling one of my pcs' after backing up the hard drive to my other 250gb drive, using ghost. I want to restore the image to the new pcs hard drive which will be wiped clean. The question is, will it copy over everything including fav bookmarks, internet settings, etc.

Hope someone can help-belcanto

Diodorus Siculus 07:28 23 Mar 05

Yes, it copies everything.

But what you suggest may be subject to some problems: if you backup a disk and restore it to a new machine, you will have a new hardware configuration. Windows _may_ not like this and require reactivation (not a problem) or, worse case, simply not start.

A better option is to clean install windows and manually export bookmarks, emails and so on.

freaky 18:49 23 Mar 05

The only way you can be sure that Ghost will copy everything including the OPS, is to do a Clone rather than a Backup.

If you do this, then make sure you get Ghost to verify the checks to ensure that everything has copied across OK.

belcanto 18:57 23 Mar 05

So freaky are you telling me that it can also do clones as well. I think that was what I meant rather than back up-I tend to think of them as the same. The new machine as i said will have a reformatted drive-will that be a problem if i use the clone section of Norton ghost?

Diodorus Siculus 19:02 23 Mar 05

Cloning is what Ghost does best. But I still maintain that you may have problems with drivers etc.

selfbuild 19:30 23 Mar 05

is quite right about the drivers unless the new machine has exactly the same hardware as the old machine.... ie the same mobo and graphics card....

freaky 20:28 23 Mar 05

I agree with Diodorus and selfbuild in what they state above.

Cloning is really for making a Mirror Image of your HD to be used on a 2nd Drive for the same Pc, or for use on an identical Pc.

As regards Drivers, then you could download the correct versions (and save them somewhere)in the event of problems. The big problem would be if the new Pc has a different MOB!

belcanto 08:49 24 Mar 05

So after all of this-while happy to keep hold of Norton ghost, am I better off buying a cheap hd-putting it into the system I want to sell. In this way I get to keep my present 80gb-what do you think?

Diemmess 09:09 24 Mar 05

The 80Gb HD transferred to a new box may have all the booting and running problems the others have outlined. Its a gamble. .........

Depending on your OS you might mount it as a slave for a while until you have copied all the data you want.

So whether you fit a new HD or sell the old one is your choice. You will sell the old better if it has an OS installed, but if it is the old HD you must be careful to wipe any personal info first, and either way you might infringe the license rules on the software.

sgoku 09:14 24 Mar 05

Ypu will still have driver issues if you boot up using your old HDD,
As said before if the new machine has a different Mother Board you will get all sorts of problems, also a different CPU can also cause some problems.
Best bet is to just install a new copy of windows on the new machine and slave your HDD and tranfere all your goodies.

freaky 15:04 24 Mar 05

As sgoku says, use Ghost to do a Clone of your existing HD to the 250gb drive.

Then put this 250gb into your new Pc as the slave drive. You can then transfer your goodies from the slave to the HD of the new Pc.

One this has been completed, then with the Pc you are selling reformat the HD and install the OPS.....then sell it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…