Does my motherboard support USB 2?

panhandle 01:00 26 Aug 05

I am trying to find this out, without success.
I've run BIOS Agent, got chipset info and so on, but googling is not helping me, maybe I ask the wrong questions, any clues please?
Its K7Vmm, Dec 2002, chipset VIA 82C3116 rev ), and I'm on XP Pro, SP2

Skills 01:20 26 Aug 05

If you open up the device manager and expand your usb controller at the bottom if it states enhanced USB then it is USB 2.

panhandle 01:27 26 Aug 05

1 x Generic
3 x USB Root Hub
3 x VIA Rev 5 or later Universal Host Controller

---so, NOT "Enhanced" - does that just mean not USB2? [sorry to ask again]

The above 7 - first 4 will be 2 ports at back, and 2 on front, and I guess the last 3 will be the additional ones included on my surge protector?

Skills 01:43 26 Aug 05

If it does not state enhanced in the usb controller then this means it is not usb2 just usb 1.1 click here for details about checking if you have it has screen shots as well.

Totally-braindead 08:18 26 Aug 05

click here(1.2A)&MenuID=35&LanID=8 these are the available drivers for your motherboard and there are USB drivers listed but they may be dependant on the BIOS version number I'm not sure. Perhaps your motherboard has the capability but you just haven't installed the driver for it? By the way depending on what you use the USB for anyway you'll see no difference. If you use it for a printer or an older scanner which would be USB 1 there will be no speed advantage in USB 2.0. You'll only see a difference in a newer USB 2.0 compatible scanner or something like a MP3 player or external hard drive (providing they are USB 2.0 compatible).

Stuartli 09:25 26 Aug 05

See:

click here

You may need to download the later Via chipset drivers for your motherboard; the 4in1 4.43 version is usually best for older mobos rather than the 4.56 Hyperion.

Stuartli 09:29 26 Aug 05

Make sure you read the section regarding USB2 updating and a link regarding Via Southbridge and AMD Northbridge combinations.

Gongoozler 09:35 26 Aug 05

click here says that your motherboard includes USB2. You may well have to install the USB2 driver from your motherboard driver disk. In my experience this is a bit fiddly with Via chipsets, but not difficult.

panhandle 10:34 26 Aug 05

Thanks - I've updated the Drivers - and the magic word enhanced is not there, so I guess the real answer is that USB2 is not supported. However I note braindead comments on speed, and USB2 is backward compatible anyway, so not a real problem. My mp3 transfers fast enough aleardy, I just got a digi camcorder, but that is 1394 connect - so no problem in leaving this until I upgrade motherboard - thanks guys [& gals?]!

jack 10:44 26 Aug 05

The simple answer to this one is to purchase a USB2 PCI card - about a tenner -less at a computer fair or on line[but plus postage]- more at the like of PCW.
Then you will know you have ut - whatever the MoBO

panhandle 10:48 26 Aug 05

What a blindingly simple idea Jack, I'll do that!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…