Does LimeWire cause stuff to happen on my 'puter?

mentalguy66 19:52 29 Apr 06

Hey, I recently downloaded LimeWire after reccommendation from a friend, but i read on a spyware database website that LimeWire was potentially dangerous. Also, there's the fact that there is no License Agreement screen.

Have i swarmmed my PC with Spyware, Viruses, or stuff like that??

Please help...

Ikelos 20:35 29 Apr 06

not if you have anti virus and the like installed, any download could be dodgy, but limewire is no worse than any other, I know no one who has had problems..

The Spires 20:36 29 Apr 06

Have a click here

The Spires 21:03 29 Apr 06

Have you ran any anti-virus/anti-spyware tools such as the free Spybot - click here & A Squared free?

The Spires 21:04 29 Apr 06

A2 free click here :-)

mentalguy66 21:04 29 Apr 06

in the end, i just uninstalled it because i was losing my trust in it

WhiteTruckMan 22:29 29 Apr 06

Urchin No. 2 keeps putting it on her system and downloading all sorts of crap with it. I'm sick of disinfecting her system. If things carry on I'm going to withdraw her admin priviledges.

WTM

Skills 22:33 29 Apr 06

Still run through some scans with antispyware stuff to make sure

dogbreath1 08:50 30 Apr 06

Limewire is not dangerous. Limewire does not come bundled with spyware (if obtained from click here). Limewire in itself is not illegal.

Provided that some care is taken in the choice of files to download (avoid exe/zip files etc..) and provided that a PC is equipped with adequate AV and ASW progs., there is only a very minimal security risk.

I know this because I used Limewire for many years, not because I read it in an article somewhere! Now I use Frostwire (essentially the same source code as Limewire) click here partly because of click here.

For the real facts on Gnutella Network clients, visit the good folk at click here.

mentalguy66 13:51 15 Jul 06

thanks to all who gave their advice on this subject, i have decided to take heed of dogbreath1 and try frostwire, works great and ewido anti-malware doesn´t seem to have a problem with it running.

thanks all, u have all been a great help

mentalguy66 :)

I have been using limewire for some time with no problems but recently downloaded an .avi file and found it not only closed my WMP when opened but also closed Windows explorer. It did this every time I looked at the folder it was saved to until I managed to delete it by quickly right-clicking before the window appeared. Now Limewire wont work (it also keeps closing ('Limewire has encountered a problem and needs to close') and java wont install. Any ideas? Ive run AV and ASW.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…