Does a laptop need surge protector

oddgeezer 13:20 06 May 07

New to laptops. When plugged into the mains, does a laptop need a surge protector? The cable has an AC to 19v DC adapter does this do away with the need?

Thanks,

Oddgeezer

Belatucadrus 13:28 06 May 07

I'd use a surge protector if you're going to leave it plugged in just because the PSU on a laptop is eternal rather than the internal one used by a desktop doesn't give it any additional protection from surges and spikes.

Graham. 15:10 06 May 07

If the PSU is eternal, it should last for ever.

setecio 15:57 06 May 07

I've noticed I get the odd spark when unplugging or connecting the laptop PSU, so I always unplug it at the laptop end first!

Belatucadrus 16:00 06 May 07

OK eXternal, spellchucker never did substitute for brain while proof reading, apologies for turning mine off.

Graham. 16:40 06 May 07

And my apologies for being an unwitting proof reader. These things spring into view, I have no control over it.

oddgeezer 21:20 06 May 07

So the oblong AC to DC thingy must be the eternal...er I mean eXternal PSU. Kinda makes sense when you think about it - but I didn't.

Ta much!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…