Does the 'keep alive' option use much bandwidth?

vitrocmax 21:59 11 Sep 06

I've recently set up a Linksys WAG345G to save swapping cables around while working on various PCs.

The only way I can get all the PCs to connect is to have the 'keep alive' setting selected, instead of the 'connect on demand' option.

I assume that there is some activity because if I'm not using the connection the lights flash at regular intervals (I've set it to redial at 180 sec - the highest it will take)

Does anybody know how much bandwidth this will be using, and what the connection will be?

TIA

vitrocmax

ade.h 22:33 11 Sep 06

DoD is only for ADSL users who actually have to dial on demand, which some do. We're talking about a negligible amount of bytes.

vitrocmax 22:44 11 Sep 06

Thanks, ade.h

My connection (to Orange) has always been connect on demand. I understood this to be an extra level of security, as I would only be connected to the internet when I was actively using it, reducing exposure to the 'darker' side.

I've no idea how much of my 2GB allowance I'm using, but a 20 second 'default' refresh over a month (if I leave the gateway on all the time) could add up.

I switch it off if I'm not using it, it starts quickly enough when required.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…