Does it matter I'm not downloading MS updates?

Zebrapec 15:26 07 Nov 04

As I have a problem with my IE I cannot download MS updates for my WIN98, but does it really matter, as I have protection from the following: AVG Anti-virus, McAfee Firewall, Ad-Aware, Spy Sweeper, Spybot and Spy blaster?

Dan the Confused 15:36 07 Nov 04

Critical updates are very important. What probs with IE are you having? MS Update site click here

Stuartli 15:52 07 Nov 04

Try installing BigFix from click here - it will find, list and provide links to MS updates for your system.

D G 15:57 07 Nov 04

I agree with Stuartli, bigfix is very good doesn't seem to conflict with anything, updates for most of what you've got on your computer,saves you having to think about it. DG

Zebrapec 16:12 07 Nov 04

I cannot find, as I should according to MS help line, Explorer, in the folloing line:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\................This id where the word Explorer should be, but it is'nt.

Zebrapec 16:12 07 Nov 04

I cannot find, as I should according to MS help line, Explorer, in the folloing line:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\................This is where the word Explorer should be, but it is'nt.

Dan the Confused 17:48 07 Nov 04

What keys do you have under Policies? I have Win98 and they are explorer, Network and Ratings.

If the MS helpline said it should be there didn't they give instructions on how to add it? I can give my own instructions but make a registry backup first.

Click Start>Run and type regedit (press enter) then navigate to the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
Right click on the Policies folder and select New>Key and then type explorer (press enter). You should now see a folder under Policies called explorer. Exit regedit and reboot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…