Does ISP's provide routers?

oo7juk 23:24 04 Jan 07

Hi,

My mother-in-law has just purchased a laptop, if she contacs a ISP will they provide her with a router. I've never had a laptop so don't know how it works.

Many thanks

johnnyrocker 23:28 04 Jan 07

most will i believe or will advise accordingly try click here for isp comparison

johnny.

sean-278262 00:34 05 Jan 07

My provider EFH broadband did provide a modem. However a wired router is about £20. It can prove easier than getting your ISP to ship you out a modem. Often takes them 28days or some such rubbish.

bainy 01:03 05 Jan 07

Most of them will provide a router but they will tie you into a 12 month contract and some will supply a router depending on the type of broadband product purchased. Best to get your own router (£40+) and have a monthly rolling contract from your isp.

pac73 01:43 05 Jan 07

Most isp,s make you sign for 12 months when you first sign up.Im with Telewest Blueyonder Broadband,and i got a Motorola Surfboard Modem delivered with all cables and installation cds within 3 days of the phone call.Im really happy with TW,as ive not encountered any problems in the 11 months ive been with them.PAC 73.

Jimmy14 03:35 05 Jan 07

The only isp's I know that provide wireless routers are,

BT- Their own BT Home Hub comes free with options 2 and 3 on Total Broadband Packages otherwise you can pay £30 for the wireless hub on option 1 or £50 over the phone.

Sky- Sky provide a free Netgear DG834G wireless router with all their broadband packages which of course requires you to have their tv package to get broadband from them.

AOL- They provide a wireless router with all of their broadband packages

oo7juk 17:35 12 Jan 07

Thanks, she recevied her modem yesterday. Just one question, if she wants to use the laptop in different rooms will she have to buy a router or some sort of card that lets her do this.

Many thanks.

Dipso 22:42 12 Jan 07

If she has a phone point in each room it would just be a case of moving the modem and plugging it in.

Otherwise if she bought a wireless modem/router (abandoning the modem) after setting it up she could connect wirelessly throughout the house.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…