Does Installing Norton 2005 pose a problem

It's Me 16:59 24 Oct 04

I have been checking on Symantec's site and there is the 2005 version of System Works Pro available as an update for £52.19. (Full version is some £30 more). To install this would one have to uninstall the old version before installing the new or will this update simply update the old version when installed on top of it?

The reason I ask, is that I believe trying to successfully uninstall Norton Works is not the easiest thing in the world. I don't really want to pay out this sort of money, only to give myself a whole lot of grief.

And No!, I really do want Norton, I've used it in its various forms for 10 or more years, I trust it, and see no reason to change.

Danoh 17:14 24 Oct 04

< sorry for the pun >

I've also used Norton a/v reliably for many years, reinforced when others have been hit when I seem to have stayed unscathed.

When I went from 2002 to NIS (Internet Security) 2003, I was prompted strongly to uninstall A/V 2002 first. So when I went to install NIS 2005 recently onto WinXP-SP2, I'd uninstalled NIS 2003 first.

After disconnecting from the internet, of course. Then I turned off XP's firewall before I ran the installation ~ clean all the way. Reconnected up to the internet and registered, etc.

However, I can not say the same about Norton System Works or earlier versions of the components :-( Judging by the assertive manner in which I was adviced to uninstall previous versions, I would guess that you would to uninstall and then reinstall System Works after you have installed Norton 2005 successfully.

Hope that helps

Danoh 17:18 24 Oct 04

Just read your related thread click here

It's Me 17:33 24 Oct 04

And I thought that I was keeping it simple by starting another thread.

Anyway, you uninstalling Norton prior to installing SP2 and presumably not getting my problem, confirms my fears that I will have to uninstall Norton to sort it out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…