Does Firefox prevent Windows updates?

Pineman100 14:39 06 May 08

I've just installed Firefox on a Windows XP computer, and made it the default browser.

A short time ago I got notification of some Windows updates - Malicious Software Removal Tool and Internet Exporer 7 (the computer still has IE 6 on it).

A little while after I OK'd the download/installation of these updates, I received a report saying that they couldn't be installed - no further explanation.

So - using Firefox - I went to the Windows Update site, which told me that I couldn't use the site because I wasn't using IE 5 or above.

This set me thinking. If you don't use Internet Explorer as your default browser, does this mean you will never successfully download and install Windows updates?

Ditch999 14:41 06 May 08

No. Makes no difference. You just cant browse the MS website properly with anything but IE

Ditch999 14:43 06 May 08

Would recommend downloading IE7 manually click here and they will even plant a tree for you!!

birdface 15:32 06 May 08

Like Ditch999 says use Internet Explorer when downloading updates.There is an add-on that you can put in your FireFox toolbar that lets you download updates from Microsoft.I am sure someone will inform you how to do it.

Pineman100 15:55 06 May 08

Thanks for the replies so far. I have manually downloaded and installed IE 7, but it reported that it was unable to install its latest updates.

So I went to the Windows Update site and tried manually. Once again, I was told they couldn't be installed - no explanation, no error code, nothing. Very irritating!

At the start of the download process, it did advise me to disable my firewall and antivirus. I successfully disabled Zone Alarm, but I simply cannot find any way of disabling AVG Free 8.0. Could this be why my updates aren't getting through?

And can nayone tell me how to switch off AVG 8?

abitofchange23 15:59 06 May 08

have you sp2 installed?

Pineman100 16:00 06 May 08

SP3 actually!

cocteau48 16:06 06 May 08

The add-on which buteman is referring to is IE Tab
click here
You can then access any MS site using Firefox

cocteau48 16:15 06 May 08

Sorry - got called away
Using IE Tab you can get all your MS downloads/updates using Firefox.
The little Firefox logo (bottom right hand corner of the browser window)will change automatically to the IE logo when you access any IE only site.
I have IE7 on the system and NEVER use it.

mikef. 20:35 06 May 08

The add on you want for connecting directly to update is Windows Update click here you click on this in your tools tab and it sends you directly to update

Pineman100 10:18 07 May 08

I've downloaded the Firefox add-on, and hopefully that will resolve the problem.

Many thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…