Does every email give a choice of IMAP or POP3 ?

setecio 10:06 08 Apr 08

Hi

Does the choice of IMAP or POP3 have to be made at the email supplier's end or is it a choice that can be made on the user's computer ?

ie. can I simply change my Outlook express settings to IMAP or would I have to first get an IMAP email address ?

Thanks.

Technotiger 10:12 08 Apr 08
  setecio 11:03 08 Apr 08

Thanks for that useful comparison :)

.... but are all email addresses capable of pop3 and imap access, or do you have to get specifically one or the other from your ISP / email company ?

Technotiger 14:57 08 Apr 08

click here then scroll down to How To Guides at the bottom for more information.

Woolwell 15:30 08 Apr 08

The short answer to your question "are all email addresses capable of pop3 and imap access" is no. Not all ISP's provide IMAP e-mail eg Orange does not.

If you have a domain name then you can often set up either POP or IMAP.

It is not a choice than can be made at your end. It has to be done at the e-mail provider end.

I have IMAP and POP accounts. I use the IMAP one for 2 PC's and it is quite useful as all of the messages are readily available. I can get round this with a POP account by telling one of the PC's to leave the messages on the server.

setecio 19:11 08 Apr 08

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…