Does a DVD writer replace both CD & DVD drives?

exdragon 10:16 04 Jun 05

Stupid question coming up: I've got a CD drive and an ordinary DVD drive. I'm confused by the specs for the DVD writers, with all the + this and - that....
If I get a double layer DVD writer, will it do everything which my 2 drives currently do, ie play, read and write CDs, as well as reading and writing DVDs? Does it matter which drive I replace? I've got a total mental block about this and have spent ages picking up and replacing boxes in PC World!

Thanks

pj123 10:21 04 Jun 05

Short answer is, Yes.

I would keep the DVD Rom and add the DVD writer as the Master

Mr Mistoffelees 10:37 04 Jun 05

Replace your cd-rom drive and retain your dvd drive. The dual layer dvd drive will take care of all your disk writing heeds. Keep the writer for writing only. You will probably find the read only drive will read disks faster and cd/dvd writers tend to wear out fast if used for more than just writing, so I have read on this forum.

SEASHANTY 11:57 04 Jun 05

You could also use your removed CD drive in an external enclosure for use as an external USB2 drive. These external caddies are fairly expensive though at just under £30
click here

jack 12:08 04 Jun 05

Not mentioned but essential of course.
DVD burning software.

Border Collie 12:23 04 Jun 05

Have a look click here £35.60 gives you a drive that will do both CD and DVD plus and minus, dual layer etc etc.

It comes with Nero OEM. Set it as master, install, and you'll be burning discs both CD and DVD at the click of the mouse.

Best purchase I've ever made.

Border Collie 12:23 04 Jun 05

Have a look click here £35.60 gives you a drive that will do both CD and DVD plus and minus, dual layer etc etc.

It comes with Nero OEM. Set it as master, install, and you'll be burning discs both CD and DVD at the click of the mouse.

Best purchase I've ever made.

DieSse 12:29 04 Jun 05

D'you buy two of them ? ;-)))

Meekster 13:04 04 Jun 05

I know some games refuse to run from cd burners , I assume the same refusal for dvd burners ?

exdragon 14:44 04 Jun 05

Thanks to all!

The next thing is that I have Easy CD Creator, which I don't think does DVDs. I never really got on well with Nero, although it's the one which seems to be included with the drives. Aren't there clashes if I have both installed?

User-312386 14:53 04 Jun 05

Nero is one of the better ones to be honest and once you get used to the interface its easy to use. Like anything you have to get used to it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…