does downloaded pc repair software work?

longjon 10:50 24 Oct 03

my MESH pc is playing up again...specifically internet explorer running on it...i am trying to avoid ploughing through MESH's expensive helplines - so, does anybody know if downloaded pc repair programmes work and/or are good value?
i am spammed to oblivion by ads for them and am finally tempted to try one.
ta for any advice.

you'd be best to be more specific about which software, (personnally it sounds dubious to go for anything advertised in a spam email). there is a lot of useful software available though but first go through all of the standard windows maintenance tasks and have a good cleanup. Try reinstalling IE and the cumulative patches for it.

bof:) 13:47 24 Oct 03

Hi longjon, what exactly is the problem you are having?

when does it occur and what operating system are you using?

Perhaps someone on here can help? I've managed to sort out all my PC problems with the aid of the good folk on this site.

longjon 14:21 24 Oct 03

i will try re-installing and cleaning first, thanks horiz...tho i am not adept and am wary!

mike...os is windows me, and the prob is terminated connection every 90 secs or so with "runtime error" and "unusual abort" (i think!) messages. i am not at my home pc at the mo so cant confirm complete error msg

a couple of less harmful activeX msgs flash up , and new last night, a "content advisor" problem! can't trace what the hell these are!

shall i just junk the thing instead and go back to macs?!!

Jester2K II 14:24 24 Oct 03

Sounds like an over load of spyware and adware to me....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…