Does changing cpu affect the operating system?

VNAM75 14:04 23 Sep 08

I have a pc with an amd3800 but I want to get a quad q6600 cpu which means I have I have to upgrade my motherboard. So I want to migrate all my old components and peripherals except the amd cpu and ram onto a new intel p5k motherboard.

When I boot up, will I still have the same operating system, files etc or will I need to reinstall everything?

woodchip 14:06 23 Sep 08

One word "NO" But you will need to do a clean install if you fit a new Motherboard

woodchip 14:08 23 Sep 08

If you only have a Restore Disc then it will no longer work with the new hardware. You will need to buy a new Operating System CD and key

VNAM75 14:17 23 Sep 08

Thats the problem, I will need a new motherboard for the quad cpu. I thought if I put in my old hard drive it will load up my current system and the only difference would be that is being powered by a new cpu and ram.

So my old hard drive will not work at all? I have to reformat and/or reinstall my operating system?

woodchip 14:46 23 Sep 08

Just as you just posted

Why wont it work 15:02 23 Sep 08

If you have an OEM copy of Windows it is tied to your motherboard, so a new motherboard means you would need a new copy of Windows too... So you aught to take that into account if you decided to change. Only the full retail copies of Windows can be migratged to a new system.

VNAM75 15:07 23 Sep 08

Thanks for the info. I will need a new copy of XP.

Diemmess 15:11 23 Sep 08

"the only difference would be that is being powered by a new cpu and ram."

To that you must add other differences such as

A different BIOS chip.
Different design for different circuits on the mobo.
Different controllers for all the hardware with different voltages in some parts.

This is where you need a Windows setup CD to integrate all the strange bits which are part of a functioning O.S.

VNAM75 15:46 23 Sep 08

It wasn't as straightforward as I thought. I try to avoid reinstalling at all costs because its so time consuming having to load all your software/service packs etc back on. Thats why I run 3 registry cleaners often and my pc runs very smooth for basic tasks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…