Does the C: HAVE to be the default drive?

Wulfrune 15:15 04 Apr 16

I've just made a rig for a client and she's concerned that her children, when they install stuff onto her new computer that they'll just load them to the default C: drive.

Yes, in an ideal world she'd educate her kids, or not let them have access, but let's assume for argument sake that they "all the above".

So... Can the default be set to the D: drive when installing software on Windows 10?

Many thanks in advance.

Wulfrune

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:42 04 Apr 16
  boyo123boyo 17:51 04 Apr 16

Ok, the answer to your question is yes but no. You don't set the default drive but the default install folder.

WARNING: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry INCORRECTLY. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Click HERE for information on how to do this.

Step 1: Start the Registry Editor by entering "Regedit" in the search all programs bar.

Step 2: Locate the following: HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

Step 3: Right click on the value named ProgramFilesDir and change the default value C:\Program Files to the path you want to install all your programs in.

Step 4: Click OK and Exit.

Please also note that if your client then wants to install a program to the C: drive, they will have to manually select the install location because you will have changed the default install location to the destination of your choice.

1]: [click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:37 04 Apr 16

Please read the links I posted above as moving the program files folder location can seriously affect windows updates.

wee eddie 19:49 04 Apr 16

Give them their own Account Log-ins and keep your account as the Administrator

Old Deuteronomy 20:04 04 Apr 16

First point, don't fiddle with the registry unless you know what are doing with it.

Can the default be set to the D: drive when installing software on Windows 10?

Yes. first open the Start Menu then click on "System". Next click "Storage" then click the box under "New apps will save to:" and choose the drive you want apps to be installed in.

boyo123boyo 01:19 05 Apr 16

Ok, rather than my direct answer, I'll give different advice.

Why does your client want to prevent her kids from installing programs to the C: drive?

This is probably the factor that dictates how you solve the problem.

If she just wants to save space on her C: drive then the system>storage>new apps method is fine.

If she's trying to isolate the programs they install, a basic method would be to give them their own accounts. NOTE: Window accounts aren't by default totally isolated from each other, therefore this isn't a form of preventing a virus (etc) from harming the C: drive.

Other reasons may have/need different solutions, so more information is needed about the clients needs before we can recommend the BEST solution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now