Does Anyone Know what tracert is/does?

Confab 19:29 28 Mar 03

I've had a few problems with my ADSL connection recently and my ISP has asked me to do the following:-

Go to ‘Start’ and ‘Run’
Type command (or cmd if working on Windows 2000 and above)

On the dos prompt type the following exactly:

tracert click here > c:\tracert1.txt

and then

tracert click here > c:\tracert2.txt

and then

tracert click here > c:\tracert3.txt

If you have followed the steps above then you should have 3 completed tracerts on your C drive, named tracert/1/2/3.txt - this is what we require you to email to us.

I do each one individually(I hope this is correct) this but the DOS prompt flashes up really quickly and all I can read is unable to.....

I can't find the 3 completed tracerts on my C drive either. So what am I trying to achieve by this and can you see any reason why it doesn't work?

I cut and pasted the lines into the DOS prompt so I know they are correct.

Thanks

I'm running windows 98 by the way.

powerless 19:43 28 Mar 03

Tracert is a log, that logs the number of hops from your computer to a website. It logs the time it takes to reach another computer and every other computer (server, gateway) on it's way.

Whatever your problem is that your having with your ADSL this log will show where the problem is.

I just did tracert from cmd and it took 10 hops to reach the PCA site.

I'm not sure what your doing wrong from the DOS Prompt so i can't offer any help sorry.

Pesala 19:46 28 Mar 03

If the program is on your hard drive (it is on mine) it will trace the route to Amazon.com Onetel.com and Google.com. The support technician wanted some information about your internet connection. The > will write the output of each command to a text file.

Try typing just the first part of the command:

e.g. Tracert www google.com

(I left out the . to avoid the automatic click here link)

If tracert is not on your PC you will get an error message. However, you say that you get a dos prompt that quickly disappars, so my guess is that your internet connection is not working.

Hope this all makes sense. Instead of doing with the RUN command, open a DOS prompt and try it from there.

muppetmark 19:49 28 Mar 03

you should find them in the root of your c drive do a search for each, they will open using notepad

powerless 19:52 28 Mar 03

I just ran this command...

cmd /k tracert www. pcadvisor. co. uk > c:\tracert1.txt

(without spaces)

It produced this...in a text file at C:
Tracing route to click here [212.161.48.153]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 33 ms 32 ms 34 ms bbd-02. tcl. planet.net. uk [62.25.200.7]

2 32 ms 31 ms 30 ms pbr-1. tcl. as5388. net [62.25.200.130]

3 32 ms 33 ms 35 ms artichoke. as5388. net [195.92.200.196]

4 33 ms 32 ms 33 ms LINX-fe0-0-barkley. LON .router. COLT .NET [195.66.226.49]

5 34 ms 34 ms 32 ms pos8-0-super-grover. LON. router. COLT. NET [212.74.64.78]

6 32 ms 32 ms 32 ms pos2-0.marge. ctf .UK.COLT .NET [212.74.64.30]

7 32 ms 36 ms 34 ms p2-0.core-1.pct. lon .UK. COLT. NET [195.110.65.174]

8 33 ms 32 ms 36 ms v10-acc10-r1. CTF .UK. COLT. NET [212.161.120.54]

9 33 ms 34 ms 35 ms 213.86.52.74

10 35 ms 34 ms 36 ms 212.161.48.153

Trace complete.

Confab 19:53 28 Mar 03

The Tracert www google com but works so it appears that there is something wrong with the next bit which I presume saves the info to my c drive.

Do you know how I can do this?

Thanks

Pesala 22:51 28 Mar 03

Should be simple enough. I cannot imagine why it is not working. Any DOS command can be redirected to a file. For example, if you type:

Dir C:\ It will display on the screen a list of the files in the root directory.

If you type:

Dir C:\ > Files.txt The output will be redirected from the screen to a text file called files.txt. You will find this in the current directory.

I suggest working from a DOS command prompt, then you can see better what is happening. From the DOS prompt, type:

Tracert www amaazon.com > trace1.txt

Then type:

Type trace1.txt to list the contents of the text file on the screen, and check that it worked.

The support technician wants you to send the three results of these tests so that he/she can analayze the results and, presumably, see where delays are occurring.

woodchip 23:01 28 Mar 03

Tracert.exe file should be in your windows folder if it's not there you can extract the file wrom the windows disc in SFC, go to Start\run then type SFC type in the extract one file box Tracert.exe you will need your Win98 disc in the comp after you have installed the file if you try to connect it will create a log file for you

Confab 23:05 28 Mar 03

I'm sure I must be doing something wrong!!

If I click on Start and then Run and then in the Open bit type "Dir C:\" without the quotes then I get an error message that says " cannot find the file Dir (or one of its components make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available"

I must be doing something wrong. could you explain how to do this in idiots terms.

I think that all I need to do is to save the results of the tracert to a text file so I can mail them to my isp but I just can't seem to do it.

Thanks

muppetmark 23:07 28 Mar 03

use windows search and search your c:drive should find it, search for trace1.txt etc

woodchip 23:10 28 Mar 03

Go to Start\Find\Find Files type in Tracert and press enter to see if you have the .exe file in your system

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac