Does anyone know what this process is for?

Botch Casually 12:05 02 Sep 05

sometimes my daughters HP la[top locks up and she can only regain control by pressing the reset button. The reason for the lockup is that 100% of the processor time is being taken up by a process called,-
WinXPdisposableZeroConfiguration.exe

Does anyone out there know what this process is for and why and when it runs.

dave_and_confused 12:07 02 Sep 05

Can you check the name please?

Google shows nothing.

Is it Windows ZeroConfigurationService? If so, thats part of the Wireless drivers for Windows.

Botch Casually 13:56 02 Sep 05

Yes, the name is correct, the only error I made was that the d in disposable should be upper case.

Like you I tried a net search and found nothing. Thanks for taking the interest though.

ashdav 14:39 02 Sep 05

click here
type the process in here and it will be identified

bertiecharlie 15:13 02 Sep 05

The closest I can find is WinXPDisableZeroConfiguration.exe click here

The last link on Page 1 describes the problem as being associated with a Belkin network card.

If the exe file isn't the above one then just ignore this.

Botch Casually 15:13 02 Sep 05

Thank you both for the help.

Dave-and Confused, I,ve got to eat some crow here, you asked me to check the name and I said it was right. Wrong! it was very much a case of seeing what I wanted to see, it actualy is WinXPDisableZeroConfigation. It is as you suggested tied up with the wireless network. I had installed a belkin wireless card for her a while ago and it's the utility for this thats the problem. Thanks, and sorry for misdirecting your efforts.

igk 15:34 02 Sep 05

Its worth bearing in mind that anyone using a wireless connection with the wireless manufacturers software can have low signal/connection dropping due to the accursed service in win xp home/pro called "Wireless zero configuration" if this is running (it is as default)it constantly tries to override any software that came with the wireless cards etc,to disable, Start,Run, type "services.msc" (no quotes)enter/ok scroll down and find it,double click it,if its running click on Stop,then select Disable from the drop down menu and close.. I find this problem time and again with wireless connections in win xp..Hope this helps..

dave_and_confused 15:46 02 Sep 05

Not a problem - easily done.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…