Does anyone know

talia 18:15 11 Jan 04

If i can upgrade my old WIn 95 machine to '98' byjust running the '98' disk.

Will I lose all my files ond applications or will I be able to install '98' over the top?

VoG II 18:20 11 Jan 04

You can do an over the top installation. BUT backup anything important first.

Indigo 1 19:08 11 Jan 04

I do know that Win 98 will be DISCONTINUED before the end of this month so you will not be able to download any updates, patches or fixes from Microsoft after then.

So make sure you download all you need before it's to late.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:14 11 Jan 04

Indigo 1 is slightly mistaken. Patches and fixes for W98 will be available on hundreds of site for yonks. Interestingly I had W98 for 5 years and never downloaded any patches or 'fixes', i did not shrivel and die...if it ain't broke don't fix it.

G

powerless 19:17 11 Jan 04

Ah but i think you are also slightly mistaken G ;-))

If it wasn't broke why patch it? ;-))

Indigo 1 21:00 11 Jan 04

I was careful to point out that "Microsoft" will be discontinuing support.

Indigo 1 21:03 11 Jan 04

I wonder how many people are aware of the fact that W98 is to be made obsolete soon ?

A friend recently asked me to look at her PC with a view to upgrading and was under the impression that "most people use W98".

Does this mean my 98 will be discontinued and not work? I think this is scandalous and will be contacting my MP forthwith. Even fivewith.

woodchip 21:09 11 Jan 04

The main patch's for Win98 is the Horrible Insecure Internet Explorer, Called critical update's

Sir Radfordin 23:19 11 Jan 04

Yes if you have the upgrade disc you can just put it in the drive and away you go. You can even have Win95 up and running when you put the CD in and it will do all it needs to. As with anything, back up your work first...but then everyone does that on a regular basis anyway don't they ;)

As for patches, I'm sure you'll be able to get hold of ones you need. Most will seem to make little difference, but there are some that do...and not just security ones either.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…