Does anyone have an Ipaq HX4700?

Forum Editor 20:44 10 Oct 05

If so, have you worked out how to get Outlook to authenticate you to your outbound (smtp) server?

I can't do it, and there's no help on the HP site - apart from the news that there's an upgrade pack going to become available for the mobile Windows version 2003 that's installed - but not until spring of 2006.

ton 22:00 10 Oct 05

I have an Ipaq 2210, I would have thought it would be the same to set up email.

On my 2210 I do it this way.-

Open Inbox.
New Account.

You then enter your email address etc.
Enter what you can in each box and click next.

In the last box you can enter any settings (including SMTP)that it didn't find.

Hope this helps.

ton 22:23 10 Oct 05
  Forum Editor 14:02 11 Oct 05

I know how to set up email accounts - that's not the problem.

I have my own business domain name, and I collect POP3 email from my mailbox on my own server - that's no problem. My ISP is BT however, and they have fairly recently introduced a requirement that all outbound (smtp) mail is authenticated on the server. That's absolutely no problem with Outlook on a PC - you simply tell Outlook that you have a different username/password for outbound mail to the one that you use for inbound mail.

The mobile Windows 2003 version also has an option to select smtp authentication, as you say, but there's no way to enter a different login - Windows assumes that it should use the same login that you set for your POP3 inbound mail.

anchor 15:41 11 Oct 05

Try posting on the Ipaq 4700 forum.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…