does anti-virus slow down systems?

capnsofa 12:50 17 Dec 04

My OS is Windows 98 and I installed McAffee FireWall from the CD given with a recent edition of your magazine.
Recently I installed Norton AniVirus 2005, which appears to work satisfactorily. However, I notice since installation that Start Up takes at least a minute longer, initial access to areas such as Outlook Express is slow and mouse movement is sluggish. Everything speeds up after a few minutes, but when Shutting Down, there is a delay, again of about a minute, before this is completed.
Is this a side effect of Anti Virus protection and is there any way I can speed up matters, without compromising the system.

TomJerry 13:03 17 Dec 04

improvement

you only need one package, either McAfee or Norton

look configuration setting to see if Anti-virus is configured to scan during bootup

look start up, do not start anti-virus and internet security during start up, you only start them when you link to net which is when threat come in, to disable them in start up, you may need to use a wonderful program called startup control panel click here

Belatucadrus 14:02 17 Dec 04

click here for Norton 2005 system requirements, for a W98 installation it needs 64Mb of RAM. You've not given your system specs, but this may be hogging your resources and slowing things down. You could try adding more memory or a less resource hungry AV package like avast click here that only asks for 32Mb. Don't run both at the same time.

Graham ® 14:23 17 Dec 04

Norton is probably scanning documents and drives on shut down.

woodchip 14:31 17 Dec 04

This is what you whant on Win98, I have never had a Virus and no updates or update Dat files to download. this is only for the Windows Nine family.
click here

Faster and does notr slow your computer, Use along with Free ZoneAlarm

woodchip 14:32 17 Dec 04

PS

Been using this for about 7 years

BITS&BOBS 14:40 17 Dec 04

Yes I used to use NIS2004 on my laptop AMD 1500+ PC2100 256MB DDR RAM, and it slowed things right dowm as you have described.

However on my desktop AMD 2500+ 1GB PC2700 RAM the system does'nt even flintch on start-up, might be worth seing what programs are on your start-up menu and only have basic system requirement starting, things like real player etc can really slow things down.

Also have live update disabled and just ensure you do a regular manual check for updates, this also helps to speed things up.

Gongoozler 14:53 17 Dec 04

Norton AV is notorious for it's use of system resources. I'm using Avast. It's free, a much smaller application and doesn't appear to significantly affect the performance even of my relatively modest 1.6 G Duron system.

woodchip 15:00 17 Dec 04

Yes that's what I am on with New XP desktop, and Free Zonealarm.

Sans le Sou 16:16 17 Dec 04

Maybe a memory upgrade will speed things up, saves using the HD as a virtual memory device, if that is the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…