Dodgy start-up

ianwhitey 08:39 26 Feb 07

I've recently built a pc (with a mate who knows what he's doing) and there seems to be a problem when I turn it on; everyother time I turn it on, it starts up fine - yet each other time - although I can hear the fans whirring - nothing else seems to happen (monitor is working, yet doesn't seem to be receiving a signal). I've checked connections and everything seems to be ok.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers! :o)

Technotiger 08:42 26 Feb 07

Hi, I would re-check the graphics card, and/or update the graphics drivers on-line.

PA28 09:19 26 Feb 07

All checks OK - no warning beeps? Is it always alternate times?

PA28 15:32 26 Feb 07

Thanks for the email confirming that this does happen every other time - if you press the reset button then all is fine.

I may be on the wrong track here, but I had this problem with a very old AMD K7 years ago - again it was every other time. It was the on/off switch that turned out to be the cause, not properly latching. Might be worth trying a substitute?

crosstrainer 15:41 26 Feb 07

This can also occur when the BIOS settings are incorrect...ie: overvolting memory or cpu. Might be worth going into your BIOS and having a Look....if you are unsure about this don't try to make changes yourself...BIOS can normally be accessed by pressing the DELETE key on boot up. You could try loading the "default settings" which should ensure things are not being overtaxed. Do you know your system spec? Ie: Motherboard CPU etc?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…