dodgy sound from cd/dvd drive

robbiemac 16:44 20 Sep 06

The sound quality from my combined CD/DVD drive has suddenly deteriorated, resulting in scratchy, slightly distorted sound from any disc, whether audio CD, CD-ROM or DVD (picture quality on DVD is fine). I can rule out the problem emanting from my Creative I-Trigue 2:1 speakers, because sound from digital files remains perfect; and the same problem occurred when I disabled the Creative speakers and used those on the monitor.
I've also tried using a CD-drive cleaning disc without success.
Whether this is relevant or not I don't know, but I noticed some time ago that the PC (running Windows XP) no longer displays an intro screen automatically whenever a disc is inserted into the drive. I need to open the window by going into 'My Computer'.
Needless to say, any advice or suggestions gratefully received!

skidzy 16:49 20 Sep 06

Do you know what sound card you have.If not,run Belarc,this should tell you.click here

Try updating the drivers from the manufacturers site.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:26 20 Sep 06

In device manager right click drive slect properties (use tabs to check functions) check if CD drive in DMA or PIO mode, DMA is better.

Do you have a cable from drive to sound card?

Again in device manager check that "Enable digital CD audio for this device" is ticked

Autoplay Repair Wizard click here

Autoplay disable/enable
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
2. Locate and click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom
3. To disable automatically running CD-ROMs, change the Autorun value to 0 (zero). To enable automatically running CD-ROMs, change the Autorun value to 1.
4. Restart your computer.

robbiemac 10:06 21 Sep 06

Skidzy, you're a star! That worked a treat - many thanks. The volume output seems slightly lower at any given level (even though the various control panels are all max'd out), but I have perfect audio again so I'm happy.

Fruit Bat - thanks for your advice. One of the settings was indeed in PIO, so I changed it. I haven't had time to run the Repair Wizard yet, but will certainly give that a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5