Dodgy Power Supply

Blitzer 12:56 09 Jun 05

Was using my PC last night (playing a game) when the power suddenly went off, initially assuming it was a power cut. This was not the case it turned out the fuse in the surge protector plug supplying power to an extension into which my equipment is attached had blown.

Thinking little of it I replaced the fuse only for it to blow straight away again. Obviously there was something more to it so I start systematically isolating equipment until I found out it was the PC itself that was causing the fuse to keep blowing.

The last test was to plug the PC directly into the mains outlet with a new power cord, switched on at the mains and then flicked the switch on the PC's PSU. Immediately the fuse for the PSU blew along with an electrical "pop" and a flash of white light from the PSU. :(

I'm assuming it is the PSU itself at fault (Antec Truepower 430 Watt) rather than a problem with the motherboard etc. Does this sound like the most likely possibility?

Naturally, I'm also concerned that my hardware could have been damaged during these tests to determine the cuase of the fuses blowing but at the same time hoping that because the fuses blew any such problems should be avoided?

Assuming it is a faulty PSU I've been looking at a suitable replacement and have decided (although it should not be necessary) that an even bigger PSU (wattage) may be a good idea? Still like the idea of an antec unit, they seem to have a good reputation and I believe I've just been unlucky. ONe thing that concerns me though is that sopme newer PSU I've seen appear to have a 24pin connector rather than 20 pin as usually found on a ATX power supply? Will this still work? My mother board is an Asus A7N8X-Deluxe.

Many thanks in advance for any advice. :)

Blitzer 12:59 09 Jun 05

Sorry for the long post.. but did mean to add that although I have anpother PC from which I could try the PSU from, I'm reluctant to do so in case it's not up to the job and thoguh fear of causing any harm to that as well - not to meantion the hassle of removing and refitting PSU's several times over. :(

DieSse 13:33 09 Jun 05

If you're lucky you've only blown the PSU - if you're unlucky ............

Several Antec ATX2 PSUs have a detachable 4pin section for compatibility with 20-pin motherboards.

phono 14:52 09 Jun 05

Try the PSU from your other computer with all drives, apart from HD and floppy, disconnected, in that way you wont overload the PSU and can test for damage to the hardware.

I have seen 3 computers now where a blown PSU took everything else with them, not one part of them was working, I hope this is not the case for you.

Blitzer 15:22 09 Jun 05

This is not sounding too promising, I've only really just finished upgrading this PC and recently had to change the ram due to a dodgy stick and also added a decent sound card a few weeks ago. Will not be impressed if I've killed it I've spent a lot of money on making what is to me a pretty well spec'd machine, i.e. used all good quality (more expensive) components. :(

phono 15:39 09 Jun 05

As a word of comfort, in the cases I mentioned the PSUs fitted were not particularly high spec, I suspect that if you have a good quality PSU you may well be okay.

Try my last suggestion to see if your hardware is okay.

Blitzer 18:14 09 Jun 05

Will do - guess I have nothing to lose at this point other than spending the time doing it. I so hope the hardware is ok. A lot of nice equipment in there, would not be good if any of it was damaged...

A7N8X-Deluxe Motherboard.

Asus X800 Pro GFX Card - Fairly recent upgrade £300! :(

Audigy2 ZS sound card.

AMD 2500XP Barton Processor.

1 Gig Cosair Ram - Bought this very recently to replace some dodgy ram another £100. :(

Not to meantion that the PSU was £60 or so when I got that, and all the other things like HD's DVD, CD & floppy drives. All which I assume would be uneffected but you never know. Does not bear thinking about. I'll be so gutted after all my hardwork in choosing and buying this stuff for it to be wrecked. :(

Finger's Crossed. :(

alexgray104 18:24 09 Jun 05

Try all the hardware in the other pc one by one to see if it has a fault. Sorry it happened to you. I had one last year at work that wiped and destroyed everything - including seven big reports and countless documents I had been working on :-(. When it happened on my home PC it was only the HDD and motherboard which was damaged, so you might be lucky.

Blitzer 18:28 09 Jun 05

Unfortunately, this PC (the one that still works) is too old to use most of the hardware, so it's going to be a case of using the PSU from this machine in the other machine to see what (if any - fingers crossed) damage has been done. Just about to remove the suspected faulty PSU now. :(

Blitzer 18:31 09 Jun 05

Don't suppose anyne knows how or it it's possible to check the suspected duff PSU for shorts etc? I have a test meter thing that should do the trick. =-s

DieSse 18:58 09 Jun 05

Don't even think about it - if it went flash, bang, it's gone. There is nothing you can sensibly check inside them, and switching-mode PSUs are very dangerous things to work on unless you know exactly what you are doing - very high voltages inside tham, and capacitors with a large charge that can last a long time!

I bet it rattles when you shake it - usual problem is an exploded capacitor - but there will be something that made it explode!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…