Dodgy e-mails

ray27 18:46 09 Jul 03

Whoops posted this initialy in the wrong place

I have disabled the preview option in outlook express as I read it was possible to be infected by a virus if it was enabled.
Since I have done this I seem to be getting a lot of dodgy Emails which I was not getting before.

One was from a Lilly Burger another was from a Linda asking for help another was offering to make a certain part of my anatomy larger and there were others that were complete gibberish.
Am I getting them because I disabled the preview option or is it just coincidence?

Needless to say I deleted them without opening them so I don?t know what they where about.

Any advice would be very welcome once again

ray27 18:50 09 Jul 03

Just recieved one from Sedric Sears and the subject is fal?

-pops- 18:50 09 Jul 03

Download click here

With this you can see what your emails are before they are downloaded and return them from whence they came without seeing any of the odious contents.

I use it all the time, even though my ISP has an email filter, some still get through.

Brian

-pops- 18:52 09 Jul 03

An important thing is NEVER respond to these things, however tempting that may be.

By responding, all you are doin is confirming you are a real address and if you think you're getting a lot now, well!!!!!

Brian

Jester2K II 18:52 09 Jul 03

"return them from whence they came without seeing any of the odious contents. "

Er no.

Most of the time you can't return them from whence they came as the return address gets spoofed (faked). This means if you bounce these messages you just add to the amount of wasted bandwidth on the net as they are being returned to none existant addresses.

Just use Mailwasher to delete not bounce.

Gaz 25 18:52 09 Jul 03

Run an online scan from: click here

Then run click here or / and click here

Then get a copy of Mailwasher: click here

All free.

Hope this helps, you will not need to download dodgy e-mails and viruses cannot infect you, even if they are scripts.

Regards,
Gareth

Valvegrid 18:56 09 Jul 03

Closing the preview pane has nothing to do with receiving these emails. What you are receiving is Spam, you've probably read about it. Well what your getting there is the infamous Spam.

Use Mailwasher in pops's link, I use it all the time, the free version only gives you one account you can use on it, but the paid for version gives you unlimited number which I use.

Paul.

Jester2K II 18:59 09 Jul 03

Valvegrid - Preview can have everything to do with it. If you open spam e-mails (as the preview pane does) then this can signal that your e-mail account is active and its then added to lists and sold. Usually by detecting a unique string in a link embedded in the e-mail which downloads a graphic. By knowing which string equals which e-mail address they can mark your address as ACTIVE - SPAM NOW!!!

ray27 19:02 09 Jul 03

Is it possible to be infected by just opening the e-mail?
I know you can be infected by opening attachments.
Why do you think I am getting them now when I havn't been bothered by them for the past 4 month's?
It seems to have started when I disabled the preview option or is this just a concidence?
many thanks Ray

Jester2K II 19:05 09 Jul 03

Co-incidence.

Don't get viruses and Spam mixed up. You can't get infected by Spam just sent lots of it.

You can be infected by at least one type of e-mail virus just by opening it (can't remember name right now). However what i am referring to is different.

If the SPAM has a graphic in it then this graphic can be set to be downloaded from the website. Each individual e-mail will have a slightly different link to that file and by monitoring which links are used they can be marked active.

ray27 19:07 09 Jul 03

You chaps are so quick you were answering my questions before I was posting them
thanks a lot for all your advice I shall just go and get mail washer as you have advised
cheers Ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…