Document already open

Sue100 20:05 08 May 05

I am running Windows XP Home Edition and Office 97. When I open a document I get a message that a document with the same name is already open, you cannot open two documents with the same name. Any ideas???

Kenneth-266656 20:33 08 May 05

Did read once about the reason for this. If you click OK and the dialog box disapears then don't worry - just carry on. I get this from time to time with Excel and this is what I do. Bit of a nuisance but no problem

joseph K 21:48 08 May 05

Slight shot in the dark. Are you sure that you haven't set the mouse for single click?

Number 7 01:17 09 May 05

The solution was a bit drastic, but click here

Note that Office 97 isn't "offically" compatible with Windows xp.

howard60 07:02 09 May 05

try finding normal.dot and renaming it normal.old then start word and it will make a new normal.dot if this solves it great but you will have lost any features that you customised. If it does not cure it your can delete the new one and rename the old one.

Number 7 12:55 09 May 05

Another fix that seems to sort it in most cases:

Click Start, select Run and in the box type the following:

The path below might not be the same on your computer- you need to type the full path to the location of Winword.exe.

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Office\Winword.exe” /unregserver and press Enter.

then

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Office\Winword.exe” /regserver and press Enter.

Include the quotes and note the space between exe and /

You can repeat the above for Excel etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…