DOCTYPE Declaration

Micklemass 19:51 27 Feb 05

On checking my website click here the following reply came from click here

Line 1, column 0: no document type declaration; implying " !DOCTYPE HTML SYSTEM>" html> !-- #BeginTemplate "/Templates/index.dwt" -->

I used Dreamweaver 4 and a template but am I missing something and if so does it matter?

Mick

Taran 20:22 27 Feb 05

Take a look at the Web Standards Project site: click here

The template on that page contains the DTD you should be using.

You will still get a few errors, since you have used code such as bordercolor= and you have no ALT tags on your images, but it will get you on the right tracks.

Micklemass 20:33 27 Feb 05

Thanks Taran

Do I just paste the following?
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

Also had put the ALT tags on the logo's but not downloaded the new pages yet. Will check the whole site for those later as usually do them.

Cheers Mick

Taran 21:28 27 Feb 05

You missed out the "http: link following the <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" code.

Copy and paste everything above the opening <html> tag in the template I linked to and transfer it to your own file in the same place, above your opening <html> tag.

Save and then test the file again.

Micklemass 22:48 27 Feb 05

index.htm now looks like this

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"click here">
<html><!-- #BeginTemplate "/Templates/index.dwt" -->

<head>
<!-- #BeginEditable "doctitle" -->
<title>FAP GENE</title>

Get the following validation

This page is not Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional
Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an SGML parser.

Line 13, column 6: required attribute "TYPE" not specified

<STYLE><!--

The attribute given above is required for an element that you've used, but you have omitted it. For instance, in most HTML and XHTML document types the "type" attribute is required on the "script" element and the "alt" attribute is required for the "img" element.

Typical values for type are type="text/css" for <style> and type="text/javascript" for <script>.

Will have a better look tomorrow but think it's a bit beyond me this evening.

Thanks Taran once more

LeadingMNMs 17:57 28 Feb 05

Since your not using the <style> tags you might as well remove them, you only need them for internal style rules and your using an external CSS, so there not needed. If for whatever reason you want to keep them then use <style type="text/css"> instead of <style>.

Micklemass 21:18 28 Feb 05

Have found the following to modify the dreamweaver template click here

Have copied following and after a couple of height and border problems now OK (or it seems to be)Will look at suggestions mnm's later
test page at click here

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<html lang="en">
<head>
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
</head>
<body BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" TEXT="#000000" style="background-color: white; color: black">
</body>
</html>

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…