Doctor Watson and more

Muergo 16:05 07 Aug 09

This suddenly appeared after rebooting.
Dr. Watson Fatal Error
Was unable to attach process
Windows returned error code 805306296.

And in addition, separate warning -
clwtracker.exe generated error will be closed by Windows. Error log generated.

At the same time I have lost the function of BBC iPlayer, it loads fine, screen says "playing" but there is no sound.
Checked connections from PC to amplifier/speakers, the Windows startup and closedown jingles come out OK so there is no discontinuity there.
It was working perfectly an hour before.

I have rebooted again, no difference.

Graphicool1 16:36 07 Aug 09

Click on 'My Computer'
Right click C: (your OS drive)
In menu click 'Properties'
Click the 'Tools' tab
Under 'Error Checking' click 'Check Now'
click the box next to...
'Automatically Fix File System Errors'
Click 'Start'
A notice will say it can't do it until the next time you boot. Click 'Yes' and reboot

Muergo 19:33 07 Aug 09

Dr. Watson Fatal Error stiil shows after Discheck, Summary after it finished flashed on and off screen so fast, couldn't read it.

Second fault message did not appear but svchost error appeared again after disappearing for several days.

I am just wondering if I should do a clean reinstall of XP, I have never done it before, but everything is backed up onto external drive.

Graphicool1 15:16 08 Aug 09

At the end of the day whatever you do is up to you. But I would see a clean install as a last resort. If you have the full install disk and I take it you must as you're talking about a clean install. So why not try this first...

Repair Windows XP, insert the recovery CD, close down any splash screens that appear. Reboot your PC and when prompted press any key to boot from the CD. XP set-up will commence. Follow through with set-up as if you were going to reinstall XP (follow the prompts on screen) Ignore the option to use the automated recovery procedure or to press 'r' for the recovery console, instead press enter to continue with set-up. Shortly set-up will scan your hard drive for existing windows installations, it will locate your current install of XP. Choose to repair the current installation and then follow the prompts on screen to complete the repair.

After the repair has completed you will need to reinstall the drivers for your motherboard from the motherboard driver CD supplied with the PC, the video card drivers and the sound card drivers. All other drivers and software should survive the repair intact.

Muergo 14:41 11 Aug 09

Thank you for all the support.
I now no longer have most of the fault messages not appearing, still have a stubborn "svchost has found a fault and has to close" comes up after each reboot, but cannot find anything affected.
BUT, I am not using IExplorer except those programs that depend on it e.g. Outlook Express, so perhaps fault is in there.
Gave up on IE8 because it was forever closing down for one reason or another and have not had time to enact the fixes for it, although all windows fixes are up to date.

Graphicool1 16:10 11 Aug 09

"svchost has found a fault and has to close"
Is this exactly what it says, or are you rounding it up to more or less?
If this isn't exactly what it say's, can you tell me what it does say and include any numbers that might accompany it.

birdface 20:19 11 Aug 09

From an old thread probably nothing to do with your problem but worth a look.

click here

there was nothing showing for.clwtracker.exe

but there was for cfwtracker.exe

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now