Docs-W98SE to XP Home

Noels 19:55 19 Aug 04

In the last couple of days I have changed my computer from one with W98 SE to one with XP Home. Before changing I backed up "My Documents" "My Pictures" and above all OE Address Book to separate CDs. I would like to install these on my new computer but find this impossible, even using the inbuilt Wizard. I get messages ( my words ) to the effect that the files are locked or in use by another programme !! Please ideas of how to open and transfer my data.

Regards Noels

THE TERMINATOR 20:01 19 Aug 04

Have you tried copy and paste, for your files, and import address book from file menu in OE?...TT

Noels 20:10 19 Aug 04

No Can Do as Old Compo Crashed and Burned after copying to CDs so only records on CDs I used to regularly store My Docs, Photos etc to CDs then restore as and when I wanted them but don't seem to be able to do this from W98SE to XP Home Noels

THE TERMINATOR 22:43 19 Aug 04

Can you see the documents on your cd's in MY COMPUTER or EXPLORER?...TT

THE TERMINATOR 22:47 19 Aug 04

When you copied the documents to cd, did the program finish? And are these documents still on your hard drive?...TT

THE TERMINATOR 22:50 19 Aug 04

Did you format the drive and install XP, or did you upgrade 98SE to XP?...TT

Noels 23:31 19 Aug 04

TERMINATOR

I Saved the Docs etc on CDs before binning my old useless W98SE computer. Have now bought a new computer with ready installed XP Home which doesn,t seem to want to read the CDs. As I said before I used to save all my Docs, photos,etc to CDs and replay them without any problems. There appears to be a problem transferring data from CDs recorded on W98SE to W XP Home. Any help appreciated. Regards Noels

Noels 23:32 19 Aug 04

TERMINATOR

I Saved the Docs etc on CDs before binning my old useless W98SE computer. Have now bought a new computer with ready installed XP Home which doesn,t seem to want to read the CDs. As I said before I used to save all my Docs, photos,etc to CDs and replay them without any problems. There appears to be a problem transferring data from CDs recorded on W98SE to W XP Home. Any help appreciated. Regards Noels

Noels 23:32 19 Aug 04

TERMINATOR

pj123 23:57 19 Aug 04

You say your new PC came with XP Home installed. Did it have any other applications installed. eg. MS Office, MS Works, etc.. If you don't have the application that can read your docs, photo's etc. you wont be able to read them.

Try downloading Powerdesk from the PCA Download page, click here
and try again.

Liza 23:59 19 Aug 04

Noels

What kind of cd, dvd,drive you have on your new computer. Also is your cd disk +/-. My old cd with packet writing would not copy into my new dvdrw drive so I had to use pen storage device to transfer data.

Liza

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…