Docs & Files?

podlod 08:38 16 Jul 10

Hi, In my > My Documents area I have managed to accumulate many files and docs over the years, and obviously thinking in the past I have deleted the certain software or items in this area, I now have the problem in not knowing what the hell many of these are for as they do not show any intelligible info when I right/left click on the files/docs. Is there a free software I can download that will tell me as to what they are so I can rubbish them? Thanks for any help.

MrNewName 09:18 16 Jul 10

One option may be to sort by extension / file type and google any file type which is unknown to you.

vinnyT 13:27 16 Jul 10

If you right click a file, chose properties, under the general heading it will tell you the type of file and what program is/was used to open it. From this you should be able to tell if it is of any use to you.

podlod 10:54 17 Jul 10

Hi, extension/file type, can you please explain more? I have tried right click to files and programs but does not always give you the name of software or file explanation.

MrNewName 21:12 17 Jul 10

Open my documents and sort files by "file type" - you may have to view their details rather than by icons.

See what name is given to the files you don't recognise - some will have three letters after the file name.

Take for example, MS Word files:

letter.doc

letter.docx

photo.jpg

etc.

podlod 11:23 18 Jul 10

Hi, well thanks for all your help and I will start to experiment and will return to inform you of my progress, that is if I dont crash my pc!! thank you once again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now