.doc or .docx?

chub_tor 18:05 29 May 10

I now have Office 2010 after a free upgrade from Office 2007 and I am again presented with the question of saving in .doc or .docx format. Up to now I have always used the former in the belief that most of the people I send documents to use Office 2003 or earlier. BUT is there a known advantage in using the latest .docx format or should I stick with .doc. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Marko797 18:14 29 May 10

I think it largely depends on what version your recipients have on their machine(s).

People with 97-2003 won't be able to open docx although I'm sure someone has mentioned u can get a 2007 'reader'.

I think it would be safe to say that many people are still pre-2007 with their office software, and many organisations only just beginning the migration from 97-2003.

BRYNIT 19:00 29 May 10

Its possible that people you know who use earlier versions of Office have installed the compatibility package click here to allow them to view .docx format. I think some parts of Office 2007/10 will not work in .doc format not sure what.

VoG II 19:21 29 May 10

Compatibility issues aside, I believe that .docx files are saved in XML format which results in lower file sizes.

chub_tor 19:58 29 May 10

Thank all of you for your replies and VoG™ that is exactly what I needed to know. In practice the smaller file sizes are of no great significance to me or the folks I send documents to so I will continue to have my Word 2010 set to save in .doc format. I do know that a couple of my recipients have installed the compatibility package suggested by BRYNIT as some of them have told me so but for now I will stick with .doc. Thanks once again I knew that Microsoft had to have some reason for changing the format.

octal 07:47 30 May 10

I have had a problem with docx at work. When my boss at head office has sent me a docx file when I open it using the compatibility application all the formatting on the document is ruined, I have asked him to resend using doc, but he has found he can't re-save it into doc as the formatting is ruined for him also.

So really it's a case of making up your mind to save as doc from the start, as it might be more difficult to convert the document in the future to send them on.

chub_tor 10:22 30 May 10

Thanks octal, that is exactly what I have decided to do and I have set my default to save as .doc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac