//some 3rd party need geo

Doc on Memory stick. I use XP he uses 98 ME?

1936 18:47 23 Sep 05

I have a document which I want my printer to print. The problem is that my operating system is XP, he uses 98 or ME, the document will not run on his computer and I don’t know how to save my document in 98 or ME.

originalmiscellany 19:01 23 Sep 05

If it is microsoft word, go to File, SAVE AS
and select a file format such as RICH TEXT FORMAT (RTF) - some formatting will be lost but your friend should be able to read that format.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:02 23 Sep 05

what file extension? .doc

what program was used to create it?

woodchip 19:02 23 Sep 05

It's also a problem with Floppy discs, I have no idea of a work round

1936 19:09 23 Sep 05

I use Microsoft Word and saved it in that. My other memory stick which I used last time allows me to save documents in 98 or ME. This one does not appear to have that facility and I can not afford to lose any formatting as the document is the proof to a guide to British camping and caravan sites with a view of the sea.

originalmiscellany 19:14 23 Sep 05

a "file" "save as" option for something like Office 97-98? I remember using that when i had a similar problem and that sorted me out.

Belatucadrus 19:19 23 Sep 05

Sounds like his PC needs the relevant drivers for the USB stick, W98 isn't very good at reading flash memory without them.

vinnyT 10:55 24 Sep 05

If it's just a .doc file (or any small file) can't you just email it to him. Or put it on a cd.

If this dosn't work, find a printer you can work with, usb/memory sticks are used more and more these days and a commercial printer who can't read them should be in the minority.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:04 24 Sep 05

You may need to save the document as a Word 6.0/95 doc.

Open the document click file, save as, in the save as type box click the arrow and scroll down to pick Word 6.0/95 then click save.

Diemmess 12:49 24 Sep 05

Don't be confused by Operating Systems, it is the version of Word that matters, not '98 ME or XP.

Ask him what version of Word he is using and then do as the others suggest > SAVE AS (looking in the scroll down list) the version of Word that he has.

If he doesn't have Word - Ouch!

woodchip 16:09 24 Sep 05

He cpould try saving in Rich text format that's RTF, all computer should have that

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…