.doc mail attachments will not open with word 2010

catho 18:34 05 Apr 11

Hi, I have recently replaced Microsoft Works with Microsoft Office 2010. I have just gone through the process of changing the defaults for opening a document from works to the office alternative. If I try and open a .doc attachment to an email it fails with the message 'This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel.' If I go back to Set Associations and change back to Microsoft Works Word Processor, the document opens.

Thanks Kate

ams4127 18:41 05 Apr 11

I would be inclined to run a registry cleaner (Ccleaner works well) which should clear the association with Works in the registry, then reset the associations again.

Thalmus 09:48 06 Apr 11

Are you using the click-to-run version of office 2010? If so click here

If not try giving this a go to set your files associations click here

Also, lots of info if you click here Note at the bottom of the page what it says about having multiple versions of office isntalled

catho 17:13 07 Apr 11

Thanks to both respondents for your input. Not sure how it was resolved as had tried all your suggestions to no avail but have just returned to Thalmus's default editor which seems to have don the trick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos