.doc and .jpg suddenly appeared on my files.....

Brumas 19:30 06 Sep 05

Ever since I reformatted using the System Restore disks, I notice all my word documents in my ‘home letters’ file have the suffix .doc after the name, e.g. Argos.doc.

Also, pictures I have scanned now have the suffix .jpg, e.g.
Holy Island.jpg Should I try to rename them, the following dialogue box opens up,

“If you change a file name extension the file may become unusable are you sure you want to change it. Yes or No”

If I choose yes, the picture changes to just a default icon, and not the actual picture, and I can’t open it again. This is the same if I try and change a Word Document. Could you please tell me how I can revert back to how it was, before I tear my hair out?

AndySD 19:33 06 Sep 05

Go Start then My Computer then Tools choose Folder Options choose the View Tab and TICK "Hide extensions for known file types" click APPLY then OK

VoG II 19:33 06 Sep 05

In Windows Explorer, Tools | Folder Options, View tab. Tick 'Hide extensions for known file types'.

Gemma 19:36 06 Sep 05

What were the extensions before? DOC (Word) and
JPG (most common graphics file) are what you would expect! I suspect your Explorer setting were not showing any extensions at all?

Brumas 20:05 06 Sep 05

Thank you everybody for your help. The problem is now solved and everything in the garden is rosy.

igk 20:07 06 Sep 05

"Go Start then My Computer then Tools choose Folder Options choose the View Tab and TICK "Hide extensions for known file types" click APPLY then OK"...... Ah yes you guys have seen the latest edition (October) of PC Advisor,I'm just sitting back waiting for the yells of frustration from folks who start getting viruses...Doing this setting is still one of the biggest security risks going,I will explain,as it says this setting hides extensions for known file types,therefore you will not see things like .exe,.scr,jpg this means that you could be sent a file (either in e-mail or downloaded from a website)that could appear to be say "myphoto.jpg"(you think its a picture)when actually it is "myphoto.jpg.exe" which is a different matter altogether (the extension .exe is being hidden and all you are seeing is just the name of a file that includes .jpg!!!)
I did think of bringing this to the attention of the management but as in the past it would probably be ignored/denied...

Skills 20:15 06 Sep 05

I have been downloading pics etc from the web and reciving files from friends and have had no viruses caught that way.

Yes I do hide file exstensions mainly because its a pain in the butt when you change a file name if you have exstensions shown.

A good security setup make sure you scan items before you open them and if you are in doubt you can always check the properties of a file and enable display exstensions if needs be.

igk 20:21 06 Sep 05

As I said "Do this at your own risk!!
I agree with what you are saying but people should be informed of the implications of this setting,It is a well documented problem and has caught out many in the past,it was hoped that M$ would have corrected this with SP2 but did not..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…