.doc files won't open

drbes 19:14 27 Mar 05

W98SE & MSWorks6 on computer. Some files I am sent by email are .doc files and sometimes I cannot open them. Sometimes they open in notepad or I get error message that wordpad cannot open the files. Computer is set for wordpad to open .doc files. Any suggestions as to why this should happen?

TomJerry 19:22 27 Mar 05

if you do not have MS Word, you can get free alternative, openoffice click here, it does almost everything microsoft office can do

VoG II 19:23 27 Mar 05

Won't they open in Works?

drbes 21:18 27 Mar 05

.doc files will not open in MSWorks6 as there's no Word in that. It should open in Wordpad but although set to do so it doesn't. Some .doc files do open in notepad but if the file is too large for notepad it won't open. I wondered if this was one of those Microsoft things where they take bits of some programmes and shove them together to make MSWorks - bits are sometimes left out in various versions. Maybe I should upgrade to a newer version of Works that does have Word included?

VoG II 21:26 27 Mar 05

Sorry I thought Word was part of Works.

It is in the newer versions. click here

howard60 21:32 27 Mar 05

you can download a free word viewer from ms office

drbes 21:42 27 Mar 05

I think I will have to upgrade to MSWorks 8. I like all my old programmes from W95 & W98 days as they are simple to use and I am happy with them but I guess time has moved on and I will have to catch up and upgrade things - especially as the computer has been totally rebuilt and upgraded [only the old floppy and zip drive still in the new one]. Thanks for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…