'doc' files won't open

I am having trouble with double clicking on 'doc' files - they won't open and the system just hangs - needing a re-boot. If I open Word first and then the 'doc' there is no problem nor is there a problem if I boot in 'safe' mode. Someone suggested that I look at the file associations but they seem OK and it works in 'safe' mode. I have also tried re-installing Word but that hasn't helped.
The only thing that I have done recently is to try to set up a home network and I have messed around with TCP/IP but I can't see how that would cause this problem. I have also installed a broadband modem.
I am running Word 97, Windows 98SE
Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Gongoozler 14:32 23 Nov 03

Hi Hutton. Usually this sort of problem is caused by wrong file association. Perhaps yours look ok but some of the detail has been altered. I would suggest that you go into Folder Options - File Types and remove the entry for Microsoft Word Document, then reassociate a Word document by selecting and shift + right clicking on one and selecting "Open with" - WINWORD. Then see if the association works.

Hi Gongoozler
I did as suggested but it did not solve the problem.
When I double click on a 'doc' file, the computer still 'hangs'.
I would be grateful for any more ideas

Thanks

Gongoozler 16:39 23 Nov 03

Hi Hutton. Is this a problem with all doc files or just some? I think that if you have documents with some fonts that are not installed this can cause the system to hang. If you want, I can let you have my e-mail address so you can send me a small doc file to see if my Word 2000 can open it by double clicking the file.

It is all doc files not just some. There is no problem opening them from inside Word or opening with a double click when in safe mode. So, it is not a font problem.

Gongoozler 17:06 23 Nov 03

Hutton, if you can open the files by double clicking in safe mode, then try disabling the programs in Startup one at a time until you find which one is causing the problem (Start - Run (msconfig) - Startup.

Thanks Gongoozler, that resolved the problem!

Gongoozler 07:20 24 Nov 03

Well done! Which program was giving the problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…