Do you use one of the driver update programs?.

spuds 14:25 10 Nov 14
Answered

Recently I have been reading a little about the various driver updating programs, and how at least one computer magazines suggest that you should use them.

Iobit Driver Booster 2 and Slimdrivers seem to have good reviews, and perhaps more so if used together. Apparently what one misses the other finds.

Do you do any regular driver checks, or are you like me, seldom bother, with the attitude "if all's well - don't mess".

What's your views and opinions?.

Batch 17:38 10 Nov 14

In the main - if it ain't broke don't fix.

If I'm doing a clean install I'd tend to download the latest though.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:30 10 Nov 14

Only bother if I'm having a problem as far as drivers are concerned

However I do update programs to make sure securty breahes are blocked or I get extra functions.

Woolwell 19:07 10 Nov 14

Do you use one of the driver update programs? - No. If I have to update I get it from the manufacturer's website.

spuds 19:21 10 Nov 14
Answer

Seems like the general opinion is perhaps not to bother, something I mentioned I did earlier.

Seems strange though that a computer magazine was seemingly suggesting that its worth doing.

I'll tick this, please add further if you wish.

robintheumpteenth 20:31 10 Nov 14

However....

They are useful for backing-up your all your drivers in one place and then perhaps burning a CD/DVD.

I also use DoubleDriver

click here

robintheumpteenth 20:33 10 Nov 14

(DD is open-source .org so no chance of dodgy packaged extras)

alanrwood 10:44 11 Nov 14

I use both the programs you mention and in the main they both work well however occasionally they both screw up so always create a restore point before using them. The drivers I have found to be careful of are the AMD video ones so I never install them automatically, I do it as a separate operation after installing all the others first.

I also had a problem once with the AHCI driver on just one machine out of 10.

sunnystaines 00:33 12 Nov 14

spuds best advice in my book, set up a favourites folder with links to your laptop or motherboard drivers website and get drivers from there, and one for your graphics, printer drivers from the makers webs etc.

alanrwood 10:19 12 Nov 14

Just to even up the discussion I just did a reinstall from scratch on one of my laptops. After installing everything including MS updates and all the programs I took a disk image before using Slim Drivers and IOBit Driver Booster. I used the Slim Diver program to update everything and then the IOBit to update the couple that Slim Drivers had not found. Afterwards the laptop booted no problem so I have now taken another Disk Image to replace the previous one.

No program is ever perfect but so long as you take sensible precautions ie backup first, these 2 programs do save lots of time.

alanrwood 10:10 19 Nov 14

Jock1e

Can't see any reason that you think Measupport is spamming. His advice is to use the manufacturer's site for drivers so no gain to him in this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced