Do you still need a firewall when using a router?

soy 23:37 09 May 03

Hi, finally managed to set up a router to my home network after almost 2 days.

Should I reinstall my firewall or is the router enough? I have a NAT configuration and a static IP.

Pauper 23:45 09 May 03

soy,
I run a router backed up by a firewall, this not only gives an additional level of protection, but also allows control over the programs etc trying to connect to the internet from the pc’s – something a router does not control. So in my opinion the answer is yes continue to use a firewall in conjunction with the router. Personally I use McAfee which causes no conflicts with my linksys router.

jazzypop 00:55 10 May 03

The primary job of a router is to separate the incoming stream of data, and send each packet in the stream to the correct PC.

If a rogue piece of software initiates a connection on a PC, the router will assume it is valid, and pass data to and from the PC.

Therefore it is sensible to also use a software 'firewall', which will check the permissions that you allocate to each program before allowing inbound or outbound communication.

It is equally important to have up-to-date anti-virus software on each PC. Sadly, it is also necessary to have anti-'spyware' software on each PC as well.

soy 01:54 10 May 03

Hi,

I will reinstall my firewall, I unistalled it in the first place while configuring my router to stop any chance of conflicts.

Thanks again guys!

Soy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…