Do you remeber your first time at using a computer

powerless 19:05 01 Jun 03

As aboove, when you sat down at your computer and turned it on (maybe it was already turned on) do you remmeber what you did?

Were you afraid you may break it if you attempted to use it?

How did you find out about the Open, close and save function? Were you taught or did you learn it yourself?

Did you have trouble pointing the mouse? Did you even know what to do with it...What about the right click, how did you know it exisited. Even the left click!

Using the keyboard for the first time took about 10 seconds to find the key you were looking for?

Copy and pasting - did you keep typing or did you eventually find out about this valuable function.

In other words what did you find the most difficult to do when you first started to use a computer?

We all have to start somewhere and i just wanted to know your first experience of using a computer.

Windows 3.1/95/98/ME/2000/XP

p.s. It does have a point this thread, research if you like.

spikeychris 19:12 01 Jun 03

Amiga 500, cost me £450 in the early 90's didn't have a clue how to use it. Most expensive toy I ever bought. Played the odd game until it got nicked then moved to 3.1....

VoG™ 19:13 01 Jun 03

If you mean a PC as opposed to a mainframe...

PC (an OKI something or other with integral printer, running CP/M O/S) was delivered to work in a big box. Very excitedly I unpacked it, assembled it (well, plugged it in) and up popped a screen. Nothing else happened. I waited and waited .... still nothing.

I must have been sat staring at this empty screen for about 30 minutes when a colleague kindly pointed out that it was probably waiting to be fed with that 5¼ inch black square thingy (a "floppy disk" apparently) that was included in the package and I didn't have a clue what to do with.

Inserted the "floppy disk" and off it roared into action (of a sort).

I haven't got much better during the followinf 20 odd years!

open close and save were science fiction when many here will have first touched a computer,

the best advice i was ever given regarding windows was "Read The Screen" , if everyone did that there wouldnt be half as many questions here.

VoG™ 19:21 01 Jun 03

Had one of those too, a A600. Came with 1Mb memory with an expansion slot for a further 1 Mb - increased this immediately.

I did use to play the odd game but then I found a Fortran compiler for it (freeware). I could then program to my heart's content BUT the Fortran compiler was written by a German, and all error messages were in German - not very helpful.

I used to run it with Fortran compiler on a virtual RAM disk and write complex programs that I left to run overnight, send results to floppy, use freeware prog to make the floppy readable in W 3.1 and take it to work. Happy days!

Agent Smith 19:23 01 Jun 03

The first time I used a computer was 1986. It was a Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48. I was recovering from a broken ankle and a mate lent it to me to pass away the hours. I next used a PC in 1995 recovering from a heart attack in '94. My brother in law gave me an old Amstrad. I think it was a 286 with DOS. I used that to play a few games and learnt some word processing. Then in '96 I bought a MMX 166Mhz for £1,000 Win95 and learned more because the helpline was rubbish. Then an AMD Athlon 650Mhz from Blue Ridge Computers Win98and started computer courses at my local college in the evenings and started fixing a few of my friends and family's PC's that weren't to well. Second heart attack in '97 then came my Athlon XP1700+ Win98 and next...........

Valvegrid 19:29 01 Jun 03

1975 BBC B, who remembers? I've still got it in the loft, no one wants it now, but I keep it as a reminder of all those hours programing in BBC Basic with 64k of RAM. But I did learn an awful lot playing with that old thing, some of the commands are still used to this day.

Wish hadn't asked Powerless, it's bought back a lot of fond memories of the the '70's long hair, flared trousers, and those heels!! made me look ten feet tall!!

Sorry about that age'est moment:-)

spikeychris 19:33 01 Jun 03

Never got a 600, I used to like the number-pad so when the 600 walked I bought myself a 1200. Still did not have a clue so I swapped it for a guitar, couldn't play a note so swapped it for a set of earphones and London's calling on blue vinyl by the Clash..

powerless 19:33 01 Jun 03

"1975 BBC B, who remembers?" - I was not even born ;-)

Personal Computers and not the mainframes.

spuds 19:45 01 Jun 03

I remember being placed on a waiting list for Sir Clive's X81 and the much advanced Spectrum. Still not got the hang of these new fangled computer thingy's after all those years. And to cap it all I still have the above machines.I remember sending my first 'Prestel' requesting some travel catalogues, which I suppose you could say was a first on-line purchase, even though no money changed hands.

StevieB77 19:46 01 Jun 03

Acorn Electron, probably about 1982or83. Great game like Snapper, Starship Command and Sphinx.

Or maybe it was one of those 70's computers that had games like tennis and football which all consisted of moving a white line up and down to knock the 'ball' back around. The one we had was bright orange and had a dial on the top for changing the games!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…