Do you really need to fit the little audio Cables

Giggle n' Bits 14:33 26 Oct 03

You know them little audio cables which come with CD/DVD & CDWrtr drives, Using a M/board with Onboard audio A7V8X-X and using XP o's the sound is fine and them cables are not fitted.

So, do you need to fit the little thin audio cables from the read of a DVd & CDwtr drive. What if any difference will it make. Seems to me that the Audio signal is going through the Ribbon cable fine.

Djohn 14:36 26 Oct 03

My CDRW and DVD player are connected via the IDE cable only and not the audio cables. Both play fine and sound comes through the speakers from both drives. j.

graham√ 14:36 26 Oct 03

If it works you don't need it. Older systems would have the Windows sounds, but when a CD was fitted the sound had to be sent via the kittle cable.

graham√ 14:37 26 Oct 03

Kittle cable :-)

Djohn 14:43 26 Oct 03

Now I realise why my kittle sings to me as it boils! ;o)

pj123 17:26 26 Oct 03

The cable only needs to be connected if you want to play Audio CDs on your computer. Or any other input via your "line in" connection on your sound card.

Djohn 17:29 26 Oct 03

Hi Pete, no need for the cable to be connected with 80 strand IDE cables. The sound will play from both drives through the speakers. from all music CD's. j.

pj123 18:05 26 Oct 03

Thanks John. Must try it but I have only got 40 strand IDE cables.

Djohn 18:17 26 Oct 03

Not sure if it will work with 40 strand cable but definitely does with 80 strand cable. Also the drives need to be set for digital output and SPIDP, {whatever that is}. I can if I want to and just tried it as a test only. [It has no practical purpose that I can see]

For test only, I loaded a DVD movie in one drive and left it running, loaded a music CD in the other drive and played that, swapping between the two by minimising to the taskbar and playing the other. Both drives use different software players. Sound came from the speakers on both programs. j.

cycoze 18:25 26 Oct 03

Interesting thread i didnt know about the 40/80 strand , for me at least i`m off to see if the same applies to SATA setup.

cycoze 18:29 26 Oct 03

SATA is for Hard Drives , im losing the plot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…