Do you need Anti Virus on a smart phone

Border View 17:48 PM 14 Dec 12

I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace. I've noticed amongst the available apps an AVG antivirus.

Do I need anti virus on a smart phone. I usually only use it for Whatsapp. Have not got used to searching the web prefer my desktop computer for more detailed internet browsing.

audeal 18:14 PM 14 Dec 12

I baught a Smart Phone 3 weeks ago and I put AVG Antivirus on my phone, The reason being that I have the internet access on it and feel that as I can go online then I could pickup viruses, just like a desktop computer, so must be protected just like a desktop.

For your protection, I would suggest you install it.

Audeal.

Woolwell 18:35 PM 14 Dec 12

Android is a target for malware and it is a good idea to have an antivirus.

Border View 20:42 PM 14 Dec 12

Will anti-virus protect you from malware? I am ofay with desk tops and have Microsoft Security Essential plus malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Superantispyware free edition. I thought that malware could get past anti-virus.

Bit confused now. Advice needed on how to protect my smart phone which I sometimes gain access to the internet. Mainly to use Whatsapp.

Woolwell 21:03 PM 14 Dec 12

I would put AVG free on.

compumac 21:17 PM 14 Dec 12

Try Lookout. Will also locate your phone amongst other things

compumac 21:49 PM 14 Dec 12

I have the paid for Version of Lookout for £19.99 per year and it covers my Galaxy S phone and Galaxy 10.1 tablet. With the GPS activated my home can establish as to where I am at any time from Lookout installed on my home PC. If it stolen or missing tghey can be located.

spuds 23:24 PM 14 Dec 12

Good question from the originator, but can I add further?.

I have recently taken possession of a Vodafone 354 mobile, which apparently can be used for sending emails and a bit of internet browsing via Opera (?).

There no mention from the suppliers about using any Antiwares or security programs. Would I need them, if so, I would I download them.

Apologies for hijacking the thread.

Border View 23:28 PM 14 Dec 12

Hi spuds - no you are not hi jacking the thread. Just showing the confusion. I am not sure now what I need to protect my mobile.

Woolwell 14:06 PM 15 Dec 12

Does this help? Personally I would put something on in the view that it is better to be safe than sorry.

Border View 15:26 PM 15 Dec 12

Thanks for that Woolwell. Makes for good reading.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 vs Xperia Z5 Premium vs Xperia Z5 Compact: What's the difference between Sony's new ?…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This 3D food printer prints chocolate, cookie dough or pizza

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone