Do you need Anti Virus on a smart phone

Border View 17:48 PM 14 Dec 12

I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace. I've noticed amongst the available apps an AVG antivirus.

Do I need anti virus on a smart phone. I usually only use it for Whatsapp. Have not got used to searching the web prefer my desktop computer for more detailed internet browsing.

audeal 18:14 PM 14 Dec 12

I baught a Smart Phone 3 weeks ago and I put AVG Antivirus on my phone, The reason being that I have the internet access on it and feel that as I can go online then I could pickup viruses, just like a desktop computer, so must be protected just like a desktop.

For your protection, I would suggest you install it.

Woolwell 18:35 PM 14 Dec 12

Android is a target for malware and it is a good idea to have an antivirus.

Border View 20:42 PM 14 Dec 12

Will anti-virus protect you from malware? I am ofay with desk tops and have Microsoft Security Essential plus malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Superantispyware free edition. I thought that malware could get past anti-virus.

Bit confused now. Advice needed on how to protect my smart phone which I sometimes gain access to the internet. Mainly to use Whatsapp.

Woolwell 21:03 PM 14 Dec 12

I would put AVG free on.

compumac 21:17 PM 14 Dec 12

Try Lookout. Will also locate your phone amongst other things

compumac 21:49 PM 14 Dec 12

I have the paid for Version of Lookout for £19.99 per year and it covers my Galaxy S phone and Galaxy 10.1 tablet. With the GPS activated my home can establish as to where I am at any time from Lookout installed on my home PC. If it stolen or missing tghey can be located.

spuds 23:24 PM 14 Dec 12

Good question from the originator, but can I add further?.

I have recently taken possession of a Vodafone 354 mobile, which apparently can be used for sending emails and a bit of internet browsing via Opera (?).

There no mention from the suppliers about using any Antiwares or security programs. Would I need them, if so, I would I download them.

Apologies for hijacking the thread.

Border View 23:28 PM 14 Dec 12

Hi spuds - no you are not hi jacking the thread. Just showing the confusion. I am not sure now what I need to protect my mobile.

Woolwell 14:06 PM 15 Dec 12

Does this help? Personally I would put something on in the view that it is better to be safe than sorry.

Border View 15:26 PM 15 Dec 12

Thanks for that Woolwell. Makes for good reading.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to watch Adobe Max 2015: See Adobe unveil new Creative Cloud features for Photoshop,…

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…