do you know of ...... ?

woofwoofbark 19:40 18 May 04

Hi there , I'll try to explain this as best I can and see if anyone understands and can make head or tail ....

anyway ....

A friend phoned me and told me he is getting a stereo for his car ... he was told from a friend that he can get recordable discs that will hold upto 50 albums on the one disc .. its called an mp3 disc .... my friend is coming later with a book on this and I will type in here exactly what is written ... i have no idea how a recordable cd can hold that many songs on just the one disc ... is this possible , he was shown (or so he says) by his friend who placed a disc into the car stereo and guided him through all folders and albums on the dics .... "its the cd of the future" or something how it was put across ... instead of having a 50 disc multi-player cd players placed in the boot you can use just a single cd player with all the albums .. upto around 50 , on just the one cd ?????

is this just daydreaming or is there any truth in this what-so-ever ?????

... When my fiend gets here I will type whats in the book for you to chew on ...

have fun

cheers

geo

Totally-braindead 19:45 18 May 04

In short yes. You record MP3s as data and I for one can't hear the difference between MP3 and cd unless you drop the quality down too much. Word of warning though, you may be breaking copyright which is illegal and most commercial cd players in hifis card etc will not play MP3s. You need a cd player that will support MP3s to play it back.

Totally-braindead 19:48 18 May 04

meant to say "in cars" rather than "card", sorry. As for it being the cd of the future thats stretching it a bit

grey george 19:48 18 May 04

I think what they mean is the disc has mp3 compressed music files on. The head unit can read the mp3 files and play them back. Depending on the level of compression (the higher the compression the worse the play back) you could get a lot of mp3 files on a standard 650MB recordable cd

Mikè 19:48 18 May 04

The data from the various cd's is processed by software and unnecessary info is removed, this is known as compression.

The resulting much reduced in size files, can be put onto an ordinary cdr and played back in any cd mp3 player.

Mikè 19:49 18 May 04

Must learn to type more quickly....

bremner 19:49 18 May 04

As TB says this may be illegal - but in the same vain as it is illegal to make a cassette of your songs from your LP's.

Mister Splendid 19:56 18 May 04

Yes you can get many albums on one disk by using the mp3 format. Quality depends on the bitrate. I find 128Kbps fine for use in my mp3 player plugged into my car stereo. At this rate you might get around a dozen single albums on a 700MB disk. To get anywhere near 50 on a disk though you would have to for a very low bitrate and probably unacceptable quality.

ThePharcyde007 19:58 18 May 04

^^^^ as above by Mister Splendid, the bitrate must be 64k which is poor, and would sound awful anything above 125k is good

ThePharcyde007 19:59 18 May 04

I am waiting for Sony to introduce a sterio which supports smart media cards! how cool would that be!

Totally-braindead 20:24 18 May 04

The explanation I was given, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, is that audio CDs give a full frequency sound, MP3s basically cut out all the frequencies of sound which the human ear can't actually hear anyway and the resulting file size drops quite considerably. As the others have pointed out though the more you cut the frequencies down the poorer the quality. I have a personal MP3 player and I encode MP3s at 128Kbps and don't really notice any difference in the sound between the MP3 and a CD, however when I originally got it I tried it at lower rates and the quality was very poor. Just worked it out roughly and I think the most you could get on a 700mb disk at 128Kbps would be 175 songs depending on the length of the songs. Therefore as you can see george your friend has got his figures a bit wrong unless they are recorded at a very low quality.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…